mtbr member
    Nov 2007

New question here. Avid Elixir R - lever travel issue

I fitted my new Elixirs R's and I'm finding I need to pull the lever till it nearly touches the grip to get them to bite and virtually touching the grip to lock up, is this right?

Coming from Hope mini monos which have more of an on/off feel I know the Avids will feel different, more modulation .etc, but surely that much lever pull isn't right is it?

I have dialled the levers out as far as they go but this doesn't seem to change anything.

I've read some people have had to bleed them straight away when brand new so do you think this is what they will need? If so then it's a pretty bad setup to ship out, especially as I'll have to purchase a 30 bleed kit just to get them working properly.

Not overly confident with my first purchase of Avid brakes so far but hoping you guys can give me feedback on the issue.

thanks.
    g

TNC
    noMAD man
    Yeah, that doesn't sound good. The Elixirs are awesome brakes, but I've heard quite a few stories of bleeds being necessary soon after installation. I have 2 sets that have been great, and we've sold and installed a few through the shop with no issue. One thing I find odd in your case is that both brakes would simultaneously need a bleed right out of the box. Having one set that needs a bleed might not be too weird, but that's a huge double whammy for both of yours to need bleeding. On having to purchase the bleed kit, regardless of the hassle, I'd think you'd want a bleed kit for any brakeset you own unless you're getting rid of the bike in short order. I think you'll want to have the bleed kit on hand anyway, so I'd go ahead and get it and do the bleed. When bled properly, these are among the very best 2-piston hydro brakes around IMO.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Thanks TNC, like you say I'd need a bleed kit at some point but was hoping the brakes would be set up better out of the box.

I've actually just been to my local LBS as they have a couple of bikes with Elixir R's on and the lever travel is no way near what I'm getting so this comfirms mine aren't right.

As for why they are both behaving the same and both have the same issues I haven't got a clue. I thought it may be down them being air frieghted but then again I assume most parts get to the UK by air so I discounted that idea.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Before you bleed, try removing the wheel, pry/push the pistons all the way apart, install the wheel and pull the lever 2-3 times to reset the pads. This may resolve the problem.

Get the bleed kit. Even if you don't need it now, someday you will need it at midnight to get ready for a ride the next day.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    thanks gmcttr, will give it a try later.

mtbr member
    Computer lagging, I'm sorry...

mtbr member
    My front Elixir R came in today and I'm having the same problem. There is also a continues rubbing w/ the Disc and Brake pad, At first it has little rubbing but when I "re-Install" the wheel, it started rubbing a lot.