Spice
    Dec 2008

Avid Elixir R Custom SL ?? whats the difference

hey

was looking at getting some avid elixir's, i dont really have the money for the CR's so will go for the R's, but have found an Elixir R Custom SL version (removed from a Trek EX9)....
    apart from them being gold with a black lever, does anyone know if theres any other differences between the R and these?

thanks

joe

CHOP!
    Quote Originally Posted by joehspicer@msn.com
    hey

was looking at getting some avid elixir's, i dont really have the money for the CR's so will go for the R's, but have found an Elixir R Custom SL version (removed from a Trek EX9)....
    apart from them being gold with a black lever, does anyone know if theres any other differences between the R and these?

thanks

joe

Aluminum backed organic pads... saves a few grams. Those brakes look sweet though IMO. Grab 'em if the price is right.
    It's not where it's made but how it's made.

Woodlot local
    Save up a few bucks and get the CRs..........down the line, you will be glad you did.

Spice
    Dec 2008
    really? do you think the contact point adjustment makes that much difference?
    i'd be glad if it was there, but think i'd get used to whatever bite setup the R's have, havnt actually tried them yet though, will definatly try before i buy

mtbr member
    If you work at a shop and bleed your own brakes when ever you want, it doesn't matter.
    If you dont have the ability to bleed your brakes when you feel like it the contact point adjust is great for keeping the levers even.

Woodlot local
    Quote Originally Posted by joehspicer@msn.com
    really? do you think the contact point adjustment makes that much difference?
    i'd be glad if it was there, but think i'd get used to whatever bite setup the R's have, havnt actually tried them yet though, will definatly try before i buy
    Quite simply YES.

Being able to adjust where the the pad begins to make contact with the rotor allows you to better tune the brakes to your liking. I was a naysayer until I tried some Juicy 7's a few years ago. I will not go back to a brake without this feature.

If you look at all the brake manufacturers, over the past several years every one of them have added this feature to their brakes (Hayes, Shimano, Magura, Formula, Hope....all of them basically copying Avid).

If you try it, you will see that it is a great feature to have on your brakes.

Spice
    Dec 2008
    yeh a good friend has the juicy 7's, i do think its a great feature, but considering i can get the elixir R's for about 160 a pair, the CR's are another 100 on top of that
    being a student with not a lot of income i'm not sure if i can warrant the extra money lol
    but if the contact adjustment wasnt there, wouldnt you get used to the brake's pull anyway? i suppose it depends on the rider, some might like the feel of the R's but some might not,
    damn i need to try these brakes out :\

Woodlot local
    HOLY CRAP that is a big price difference for you.

You guys in the UK get raped on the price of parts.

CRC has CRs for 160 a set with free shipping for you in the UK

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...?ModelID=29726

Spice
    Dec 2008
    thats 160 for each brake, not a set sadly
    merlin cycles is selling the set for 260 in their sale
    they're also selling the R's for 160

whats the prices for a set of CR's and the R's in america?
    might try and get someone to ship me some over if the price is right

hand/of/midas not owning a bike shop i wont be bleeding all the time
    had my current quad qh-1's (limeted edition for diamondback response i think) on for almost 2 years and never needed bleeding though, but need more power

Woodlot local
    The price is ~CAN$380 for a front and rear set. That is 215.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I own the exlir R and have some dial that does the same as the red dial on the juicy 7 - as far as i can tell: It adjusts at what lever position the pad makes contact with the disc.

Is this the same or did i miss something?

Spice
    Dec 2008
    the R only has lever reach adjust, which is a circular part near the lever which you turn
    the CR has lever reach and contact point adjustment, which is where the brake hose joins to the cylinder

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    All I know is my R's are perfect! No squelling, brake fade, and they stop on a dime. I love them! Get the R's you will not be disappointed...

mtbr member
    I just put Elixir R's on my bike build and they feel solid to me I would suggest a pair.