Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Avid Elixir R bleed problem

6K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  joe_bloe 
#1 ·
Hi, I have a problem with Avid Elixir R front brake. They lose power rapidly when hot so I bled them once and then a second time and the stopping power has not improved. What I've noticed during the bleeding procedure is a strange air noise coming out under the lever while I decompress/compress the suringe. I suppose the brake should be a closed system and not let air out or in under the lever ( I guess that is where the piston is ). Anyway, after I bled the brake the lever felt just like the lever of the rear brake. It had a nice crispy feel and I could feel the exact moment when the pads hit the rotor. But after pressing the lever 20 or so times that feeling went away and now it feels a lot different. Lever resistance is progressively increasing as I pull it and I can't tell the moment when the pads hit the rotor. Could it be that the system is letting air in under the lever so that the feel changes so quickly ? Oh, and both times I bled the brake there were bubbles. If it is letting the air in could I warrant it ?

Thanks,

Boris

#2 ·
Yes you have...

air getting into the system some how. Could you warrant it, possibly, depends on how long you've had the brakes. Warranty on the Elixers is for a period of 2 years from the date of purchase. But you will have to go through a dealer.

Good Dirt

#6 · (Edited)
I guess this isn't thread necromancy, because my issue is about Elixir R and symptoms are the same. The lever audibly sucks air in when I pull on lever syringe even with smallest force. When I pull on caliper syringe (with lever pulled to the handlebar), massive amount of air is also sucked in mysteriously.

I have the official Elixir lever rebuild kit and am going to try replacing lever internals with it.

All previous Elixir (R and CR) brakes that I bled never had anything like these symptoms.

PS
Well, replacing lever internals helped (extract old assembly, clean lever bore with isopropyl alcohol, lubricate new assembly with Hope (Hunter UK branded) silicon grease, install it), air sucking is gone. I wonder if it's because of the new diaphragm sealing the bore better, or the amount of silicon grease I used.

Quick and dirty tip for removing the plastic snap ring if your circlip pliers don't fit: thread 2 14G spokes in those holes, put them through 7 mm combination wrench and use something to wedge between spokes above the wrench (I used the handle of a 8 mm wrench, it's a nice shape for that).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.