mtbr member
    Dec 2010

Avid Elixir Problems

I recently bought a new 2011 Stumpy Evo with Avid Elixir R SL brakes, this is my first MTB with disc brakes. I have around 100 trail miles on it, the front brake is fine with plently of power and modulation, but the rear is almost totally ineffective to the point it won't even lock the rear wheel on loose dirt. The rear disc has some discoloration and I suspect the pads didn't bed in properly and have become glazed.

My LBS is approx. 100 miles away so before I drive over and leave it with them I was wondering if there is a simple fix that I can do myself, e.g. remove pads and roughen surface, etc.?

Thanks for any help

Rub it............
    Remove the pads from the caliper. Get some fine grit sandpaper - 200 grit is fine - place it on a flat surface and then run the brake pad across the sand paper. This will de-glaze the pad. Then use the same sandpaper and rub the brake track of the rotor. This will de-glaze the rotor. Clean with alcohol to remove all residue after sanding.

Then re-bed the rear brake.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Great thanks!

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quick update.

Based on suggestions from another thread; I removed pads, placed in vice, heated back of pads with blow-torch until they stopped smoking, waited for them to cool, roughen with sandpaper, went over disc surface with emery paper, reinstalled pads and bingo brake is now perfect. Whole process took 15 mins, most of which was waiting for pads to cool!

Hope this helps and thanks to all

Big Paws on a Puppy!!
    Quote Originally Posted by waitforme
    Quick update.

Based on suggestions from another thread; I removed pads, placed in vice, heated back of pads with blow-torch until they stopped smoking, waited for them to cool, roughen with sandpaper, went over disc surface with emery paper, reinstalled pads and bingo brake is now perfect. Whole process took 15 mins, most of which was waiting for pads to cool!

Hope this helps and thanks to all
    Interesting....

Can someone humor me please and explain what/how the blow-torch helps? Does it burn off the "glaze"?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    burns off the oils

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by reptilezs
    burns off the oils
    Can the blow torch make the disc too hot thereby making the pad come off the metal backing? Does stopping when the smoke stop prevent this from happening?