mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Avid Elixir pad types

Hey guys, help a brother out here, I need to replace my Elixir pads soon and I see on Pricepoint they have 3 choices available-

1. metal sintered w/ steel backplate
    2. organic w/ steel backplate
    3. organic w/ aluminum backplate

#3 costs more then the others. I'm assuming it's just lighter? I'm also assuming the brakes came with #1, which have good stopping power but squeal more often then not.

What's the value prop for organic pads? Also, does any other vendors make compatible pads, or is the OEM your only choice?

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Yes, 3 years later I would like to know this too.

mtbr member
    HA! That's funny...

Buy organic pads for the front, sintered for rear. AL backing is lighter. Organic don't last as long but have better modulation, sintered last longer.

Generally, reports say that organic are less likely to howl.

Now go forth and don't use your brakes. They only slow you down...

mk

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Tech FAQ: Finding Pad Perfection

I found this which seems pretty helpful. I think I have been buying semi metallic or sintered (which appear to be the same thing). I weigh 195 Lbs and I think Organics (according to this article) would not have enough power. I have Juicy 7's and they seem to work well. Based on this article it seems to depend on several different factors.
    Trailbildr......thanks for the response. I never thought about getting different compounds for front/rear.

Fat-tired Roadie
    I don't think the stock pads are the same as any...

I went to metallic, I thought my brakes were a bit grabby. I feel like I have a more progressive feel now. But this is relative to the stock pads, I haven't tried the organics available as an aftermarket part.

A bunch of other vendors make Avid pads. I have some from Jagwire on my parts shelf, waiting to go on.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I think I had some organics and they had about 1/2 the stopping power. They don't work for me. Jagwires work good and are more reasonably priced than the actual Avids. From what I have read and can surmise, the semi metallics are a good middle of the row brake pad. Good everywhere. They seem to work for me and are reasonably price. I think I have been using Jagwires and also Alligators.

mtbr member
    Sintered/SemiMetallic stop way better than the resin ones--last longer too. My $0.02

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Trackho View Post
    Sintered/SemiMetallic stop way better than the resin ones--last longer too. My $0.02
    I agree!

mtbr member
    Also, isn't the aluminum backplate s'pose to help w/ heat dissipation? Thought I read that somewhere.