mtbr member
    Nov 2009

Avid Elixir CR vs Magura Marta / Gustav

I currently have a set of Avid Elixir CR brakes and I am pretty happy with their performance. The modulation could be better and they do squeal from time to time. I am happy with their stopping performance -- they don't seem to fade, but I do smell the brakes sometimes at the bottom of a hill.

I am thinking of replacing them with Magura Marta or Gustav. I'm a pretty big guy - 6'2" 225 riding a All Mountain bike that weights about 31 pounds.

My question - has anyone used or tested both pairs of brakes, and if so please tell me what you liked or did not like about either one. One area of interest for me is brake pad life -- the Elixir's have a good size pad with long life using semi metallic pads. One reason I did not consider Formula is because all of my buddies tell me the pad life with Formula sux. Some replace them on a monthly basis.

Thanks Everyone......

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    If you're thinking of selling the CRs, please shoot me a pm, I'm thinking of purchasing a set.
    Thanks

official eMpTyBRain
    My riding buddy and I bought '09 Epics at the same time. Both bikes came with Avid Elixir brakes. I replaced my brakes with Magura Marta SL's to save weight and because I had seen less complaints overall compared to Avids.

We ride the same stuff with the same frequency which includes some screaming steep 3 mile downhill runs. Not really any water to ride through around here, just dry dusty conditrions.

All I can tell you between these two types of brakes is that he just had to replace his Elixir pads and the pads on my Magura brakes are just over half worn away and they are not the long lasting type (endurance?), either. I looked at the new Elixir pads he had installed and they are considerably thinner than the pads on my Maguras were when new.

Also, since we ride on such steep downhill stuff, I was having overheating issues with 160/160 rotor sizes so I switched out the front to a 180 and wow, much more power and no more overheating issues, including squealing.

Hope this helps,
    'hawg
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

mtbr member
    Nov 2009

Thanks...

Ambassador -- thanks for your response - do you mind telling me where you ride and how much you weigh?

Red Baron -- If I get the Marta SL, I'll let you know and will give you first dibs on the Elixir CR's...

official eMpTyBRain

Sure!!!

Quote Originally Posted by moediff
    Ambassador -- thanks for your response - do you mind telling me where you ride and how much you weigh?

Red Baron -- If I get the Marta SL, I'll let you know and will give you first dibs on the Elixir CR's...
    I ride in the Los Angeles area specifically in the San Gabriel and Santa Monica mountain ranges. My local loop from home includes Verdugo mtn which has some very steep stuff to climb and drop down.

I don't ride for hours and hours and hours. For me, a 10-20 mile ride is good and with that distance and usage, my Maguras have been pretty good overall.

Weight: 165

mtbr member
    Do the Magura Marta SLs have any pad contact adjustments that most Avid brakes have? It's the main reason why I own Elixir CRs but a bit tired of the bleeding.

official eMpTyBRain
    Quote Originally Posted by onegymrat
    Do the Magura Marta SLs have any pad contact adjustments that most Avid brakes have? It's the main reason why I own Elixir CRs but a bit tired of the bleeding.
    No, none needed...as long as the caliper is centered, clearance and or adjusting is not an issue. Remember that the pads last longer than Avid's so no readjusting is necessary either.

'hawg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ambassadorhawg
    No, none needed...as long as the caliper is centered, clearance and or adjusting is not an issue. Remember that the pads last longer than Avid's so no readjusting is necessary either.

'hawg
    Hey 'hawg, the contact point (pad) adjustment on some Avids doesn't have anything to do with the actual pad getting centered, adjusting when pads wear or the calipers. It is a function in the levers that you can dial in to when the pads start to engage when you pull the levers. Some riders like it instant, I like some float before it engages.

It does seem though, Maguras get much less complaints about rotor howls, pad wear or air bubble problems compared to any Avids.