mtbr member
    Oct 2008

Avid Elixir CR manual???

Where can I find a manual (online, hopefully downloadable) for my new Avid Elixir CR disk brakes. I'm having some pad rub problems on the rear brake, as well as some lever reach adjustment problems. Must have it fixed by 6:30pm tonight!
    -Max

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Thanks man. I'm still having some trouble though. I took out the pads, pushed in the calipers, put the pads back in, and tried to adjust the pad engagement point with the barrel adjustor, and still it rubs... it's better but not perfect. I checked the rotor and it's true. So now what am I supposed to do???

mtbr member
    Quite a few of the Elixers came with too much fluid in them. Turn the pad contact adjuster all th way "in", remove the bleed screw at the lever, and now push the pistons back into their bores. Some DOT fluid will come out of the bleed port, put the screw back in and now all should be good. Make sure to clean the lever good with some iso. This will now allow the pads to retract enough so that they don't rub.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008

Thanks

Thanks man, I was a little worried I was going to mess up my brake right before a big bike trip but it worked out perfectly... nice directions!!!
    -Max

mtbr member
    Glad it all worked out. You're welcome.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by fixbikeguy
    Quite a few of the Elixers came with too much fluid in them. Turn the pad contact adjuster all th way "in", remove the bleed screw at the lever, and now push the pistons back into their bores. Some DOT fluid will come out of the bleed port, put the screw back in and now all should be good. Make sure to clean the lever good with some iso. This will now allow the pads to retract enough so that they don't rub.
    I haven't done this yet, but I'm planning to try tomorrow. I was wondering... when I turn my barrel adjuster it neither clicks, nor does it turn 2 full rotations as the manual suggests it should (Elixir CR).

Is this another sign that there is too much brake fluid in my system?

Thank you!