mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Avid Elixir CR Mag vs Shimano XTR

I'm sitting on a new set of Avid Elixir CR Mag's that came with the bike, but have only used Shimano XT, XTR and Avid BB& mechanicals on my other bikes.

I like having all the same brake pad for all bikes and using mineral oil. I'm considering selling my Elixir's and going again with XTR's... These will go on a Santa Cruz Tallbot, if that helps. They are 160 rotors.

Any input comments or suggestions? Are they stronger than the XTR's? How is maintenance? XTR's are OK only clean the pucks once in a while...

Thanks!
    Best racing series in the West!
    http://www.bicyclingevents.com
    Helmet cam reviews
    http://www.helmetcamreview.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I would stick with the CR Mag. More power and lighter than XTR.
    Rimmer - "There's an old human saying - if you talk garbage, expect pain"

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I would look at the CR and the XT. The blingy mag is cool but you get the same features minus the mag with the CR, most importantly the carbon lever. The XT to me is a better brake then the XTR. Not as light but neither has a carbon lever and the XT has the adjustable lever. That said if you can wait new XTR is around the corner. Me? I have hopes and sram xx though I ran xt for the past two years think they are outstanding.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexRandall
    I would stick with the CR Mag. More power and lighter than XTR.
    What are the actual weights of these? I was under the impression that the XTR's were lighter.

I am looking at a new brake setup and it is pretty much down to these two options. Any more input out there?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I have run XTR's for three years through a long cold salty winters...

They work fine, and will smoke a set of pads on 160 rotors, a got a 203 now...

They do get sticky pistons but that is a five minute fix...

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Only reason I went with XTR's was the centrelock rotors (couldnt be bothered with heavy adapters for my xtr hubs). Saying that i;ve been very impressed even with 140mm on the back, really really good modulation compared to the elixir 5's and cr's i've tried, but probably no the out and out power.

Sticking pistons have been a problem, theres no getting around the fact that these brakes are fairly high maintenance but provided you dont mind fettling for 10minutes every 3-4rides you'll have a light, great performing set of disc brakes.

mtbr member

I like my CR Mags

WHen I've ridden XTRs on demo bikes I've been unimpressed. CR mags have good power and excellent modulation; the only problem I've had with them is some noise when trying to keep myself slow on very steep trails. I'm going to try different pads to see how that works but even if the noise persists I'll keep the CR Mags.