mtbr member

Avid Elixir CR Lever Issue

I've got a set of Elixir CR's (circa 2010) on my singlespeed and the front lever has been having some issues. If you guys are familiar with the brake itself, you know you can click the levers out (I've heard it was "give" in case of a wreck). My right lever is fine, but the left one just kinda falls to that out position. It's like it's just worn out and doesn't have that notch or click anymore. Is there a way to fix or adjust this? Would a new lever fix this?
    Mountain bikers who don't road ride have no legs...
    Road riders who don't mountain bike have no soul...

Custom Wheelbuilder
    You could always just get a lever rebuild kit for this. It could be a few different things (most likely I would think the master cylinder) but regardless rebuilding the lever is going to be the ticket. If you know how to bleed brakes, it is something you could easily do at home for relatively cheap.
    Check out www.zencyclery.com for fully customizable, handbuilt wheels.

www.facebook.com/zencyclerywheels

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Of the several dozen bikes that I've felt the avid levers on, many (over half) had one lever that didn't "click" out, but just kind of smooshed out. All the brakes worked fine. I'd say don't worry about it and go ride.

Tool
    I've had a lever in that condition for over a year. It's on my backup bike, but has served me for a few hundred dirt miles. I simply put a rubber band aournd the handlebar and base of the lever. It holds the lever exactly where it is supposed to rest without side effects.

Mine happend to get damaged in a crash, so there is no mystery as to the cause of my limp lever.

Good luck,
    Pete
    Last edited by Pedalphile; 08-10-2012 at 01:25 PM. Reason: it's a bike, not a bake!
    I can barely get my mouth around it.

mtbr member
    I have bled the brakes which did nothing, it's not squishy, it actually works amazing. Guess I'll just stick with it
    Mountain bikers who don't road ride have no legs...
    Road riders who don't mountain bike have no soul...