mtbr member
    Oct 2011

Avid Elixir CR Bleed Problem

I have some Elixir CRs and the back brake keeps needing to be bled. I took it to the shop a few times then figured since I was pretty good with that sorta stuff I would buy a kit and do it myself. They keep losing feel and control and I can bring the lever almost to the bar without locking up the rear. So tonight I decided to bleed the brakes.

When I ran fluid through the lines, there were barely any bubbles. But when I closed off the lever syringe, and pulled a vacuum on the caliper, a lot of bubbles came out, I could never get them to stop. I kept pulling a vacuum and pressurizing just like it says. So I finally gave up and moved to the lever and the same thing happened. I even pressurized the lever like it said from the caliper syringe.

Its like when I pull a vacuum, air enters the system somewhere, but when I pressurize it, it doesn't leak anywhere I can see. I checked all bolts and fittings and nothing is loose.

Any suggestions?

Patrick

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pat656 View Post
    I have some Elixir CRs and the back brake keeps needing to be bled. I took it to the shop a few times then figured since I was pretty good with that sorta stuff I would buy a kit and do it myself. They keep losing feel and control and I can bring the lever almost to the bar without locking up the rear. So tonight I decided to bleed the brakes.

When I ran fluid through the lines, there were barely any bubbles. But when I closed off the lever syringe, and pulled a vacuum on the caliper, a lot of bubbles came out, I could never get them to stop. I kept pulling a vacuum and pressurizing just like it says. So I finally gave up and moved to the lever and the same thing happened. I even pressurized the lever like it said from the caliper syringe.

Its like when I pull a vacuum, air enters the system somewhere, but when I pressurize it, it doesn't leak anywhere I can see. I checked all bolts and fittings and nothing is loose.

Any suggestions?

Patrick

Make sure all your fittings are tight, the fittings on your bleed kit hose/syringe and the fitting that screws into the caliper port.

You should be able to pull all the air out on the caliper end.