Thread: Avid Elixir CR

mtbr member

Avid Elixir CR

I currently have some 160mm rotors, pinched by 2008 Juicy Sevens. I was toying with the idea of upgrading the front rotor to 185mm, and added up the cost of the adapter and the rotor (along with some new pads) as being about $60 when all is said and done.

Then I came across a set of new 2011 Avid CR's with rotors and all for $180. I know it's a pretty good deal, but do the kind people of MTBR think that's a worthy upgrade?

Just for reference, I have a 2008 GF Ferrous 29, Arch/Hadley wheels, and ride almost exclusively XC, though I do take a lively pace through my downhills, hence the initial desire to upgrade my braking system.

74 & 29 pilot
    DO NOT BUY ANY OF THE 2011 AVID BRAKES!!! Had the '10 CRs on my 2010 Remedy 9.9 and they were good brakes besides the typical Avid problems. I've had '11 XX, XXWC and Rs. All junk; The Rs being the least junk. Have the '12 XX(warranty replacement) and Elixer 9s and they seemed to have improved over the '11s, but that's not saying much and I'm starting to have problems with the 9s(new CR).

If you can find some '10 for a good price, check them out. Otherwise, I'd say find a set of XTs.

MTBP
    MTBP
    "GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH!"
    Turn on the truth: http://www.ronpaulchannel.com/

FKA Malibu412
    If your Sevens are working well and you are concerned with fading with the 160mm, I'd spend the $60 on the parts and keep $120 in my pocket. I have '10 CRs and they work well but half the folks who have/had them hate them for various reasons, mostly for noise and vibration. Mine have no issues.
    "I love the bike. It's my meditation. I think I'm bike-sexual." -Robin Williams

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by MTB Pilot View Post
    DO NOT BUY ANY OF THE 2011 AVID BRAKES!!! Had the '10 CRs on my 2010 Remedy 9.9 and they were good brakes besides the typical Avid problems. I've had '11 XX, XXWC and Rs. All junk; The Rs being the least junk. Have the '12 XX(warranty replacement) and Elixer 9s and they seemed to have improved over the '11s, but that's not saying much and I'm starting to have problems with the 9s(new CR).

If you can find some '10 for a good price, check them out. Otherwise, I'd say find a set of XTs.

MTBP
    what kind of problems are you having with your elixir 9s?

i have a set of '12 elixir 9s and they've been problem free for a solid month. i ride them hard too, no issues.

mtbr member
    Wow. Didn't expect such a response. What are the failings of the '11 CR's?
    '14 Lenz Lunchbox
    '14 RIP 9
    '12 RIP 9
    '08 GF Ferrous 29
    '02 Trek 4300

74 & 29 pilot
    They came bolted on to my '12 Session 88 almost 3 months ago. The first 3 weeks they worked pretty good without any squealing and very little fade. Then all of the sudden they started fading on long runs and becoming mushy with the lever pulling almost all of the way to the bar and no modulation. Pretty much left me stranded after about 3-4 runs one weekend at Bootleg Canyon. Bled them and they started working pretty good again. Now the front has developed the same non smooth, chunky feeling vibration when applying more than light braking. Same thing my 2011 XX brakes developed and NEVER could resolve it. Almost feels like the piston is moving forward and aft in the caliper when braking. The modulation and power is really good until they heat up and then you pull the lever half way back with no braking to full brakes.

Both rotors are discolored from heat already. About every other ride I have to straighten a rotor because they rub in a little spot to about half of a revolution. I don't think they are good for DH, but may work much better for XC/AM riding. Had a suggestion to use some "high performance" brake fluid and heavy duty aftermarket pads, but looking for less maintenance intensive brakes. I've become very good a maintaining and making Avid brakes work, but getting tired of constantly having to tweak them.

A few friends running XT/XTRs never really have problems or have to bleed them every few months or so. Plus they say the modulation is good and stopping power is great. I'm going to try the XTRs on my Firebird and eventually eliminate Avid brakes from my life if they are as trouble free and good as others say.
    MTBP
    "GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH!"
    Turn on the truth: http://www.ronpaulchannel.com/

FKA Malibu412
    Quote Originally Posted by scvkurt03 View Post
    Wow. Didn't expect such a response. What are the failings of the '11 CR's?
    Noisy, difficult to bleed, bad seals. That's just what I've seen or heard of.
    "I love the bike. It's my meditation. I think I'm bike-sexual." -Robin Williams

mtbr member
    This is a total noob question, but do discolored rotors mean the rotors are bad or just that they overheated?
    '14 Lenz Lunchbox
    '14 RIP 9
    '12 RIP 9
    '08 GF Ferrous 29
    '02 Trek 4300

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by scvkurt03 View Post
    I currently have some 160mm rotors, pinched by 2008 Juicy Sevens. I was toying with the idea of upgrading the front rotor to 185mm, and added up the cost of the adapter and the rotor (along with some new pads) as being about $60 when all is said and done.

Then I came across a set of new 2011 Avid CR's with rotors and all for $180. I know it's a pretty good deal, but do the kind people of MTBR think that's a worthy upgrade?

Just for reference, I have a 2008 GF Ferrous 29, Arch/Hadley wheels, and ride almost exclusively XC, though I do take a lively pace through my downhills, hence the initial desire to upgrade my braking system.
    I can speak to this. I run both brakes you mentioned - the Juicy 7 & Elixir CR.
    In my experience, my Elixirs require more bleeding than the Juicys. If you don't mind lots of maintenance , the Elixir is a better brake. But not a worthy upgrade to the Juicy.
    Just my 2 cents.

mtbr member
    have had Hopes, Shimano and the new bike has '11 Avid XO's... warrantied the front XO's after 2mths for leaking and not holding a bleed, the importers sent out new '11 XO front, now I am looking at sending them back after 2 weeks (shortened and bled on install) because they have gone mushy and the lever is pulling to the bar... ie has not held the bleed... would not consider to buy Avid again...

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by client_9 View Post
    I can speak to this. I run both brakes you mentioned - the Juicy 7 & Elixir CR.
    In my experience, my Elixirs require more bleeding than the Juicys. If you don't mind lots of maintenance , the Elixir is a better brake. But not a worthy upgrade to the Juicy.
    Just my 2 cents.
    I bleed mine once a year and that is all they need. Mine have been flawless. The bleed is tricky though. If you don't do it right, you won't get the air all the way out.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by leggatt View Post
    I bleed mine once a year and that is all they need. Mine have been flawless. The bleed is tricky though. If you don't do it right, you won't get the air all the way out.
    are you kidding! I have bled my Avids 4 times in 3 mths - my other brakes go years without bleeds... I have a set of Hopes that I bled once after 3 years and then haven't touched for 4 years... similiar for Shimano XT's....

I just counted the threads on dud Avid brakes v the Rest... Avids are clear winners - more threads whinging about them than all other brakes combined

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Electric Panda View Post
    are you kidding! I have bled my Avids 4 times in 3 mths - my other brakes go years without bleeds... I have a set of Hopes that I bled once after 3 years and then haven't touched for 4 years... similiar for Shimano XT's....

I just counted the threads on dud Avid brakes v the Rest... Avids are clear winners - more threads whinging about them than all other brakes combined
    Nope, not kidding. I bleed the brakes when I change the pads which is about once a year. If you do it right, they are really good brakes.

Avid basically made the system to hard to do right when they designed it. Your brakes only need to be bled so often because you are never getting a good bleed. I spoke with a tech at Sea Otter a few years ago and he admitted it was a tricky bleed.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Electric Panda View Post

maybe you just suck at bleeding avid brakes. i have to admit there are many threads and complaints about avid brakes. the reason is avid hydros are spec'd on a ton of oem builds. mid to high level, most use elixir 1 through elixir xo. because so many bike companies sell their bikes with avid brakes higher number (volume of consumers) will have problems due to more people owning such bikes fitted with avids.

if 100,000 people own shimano brakes and 10percent had issues that would be 10,000 per the 100,000 owners of shimano brakes.

since 500,000 people own avid brakes and if the problem percentile was the same as shimano brakes of 10percent it would be 50,000 cases of issues and problems.

i believe it is a correlation of avid brakes sold instead of everyone having bad experiences with avid brakes. i for one love my elixir9 and the bleeding procedure is more involved than say shimano's one way system but, mine works with perfection with no noise and no problems.

my buddies use shimano's new xt brakes and 2 of them both had problems with their brakes within a couple weeks of use. i know shimano is a highly reputable company in the bike world since theyve been in the game for so long. i was also going to get a set of xt brakes but i went avid because i heard they redesigned their reservoir for cleaner bleeds and less air trap.

avid should have a disclaimer, only for advanced users, people who follow instructions carefully or professional bike mechanic to install and maintain, then the number of people btching will drop dramatically.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    One interesting thing about Avid is that they make continuous quality improvements to their brakes. I had a set of Juicy 3's on my XTC 29er1,they sucked. On the other hand I felt that the Juicy 3's that came on my Hifi Plus weren't bad,however the rotors were slightly larger at 185mm so it's not exactly a fair comparison. Note that I ended up replacing the brakes on both bikes anyway.

I also had a GF Rig where I switched out the BB7's for Elixir R's. For the money I think it's very difficult to buy brakes that will compete with the BB7's,for the money they offer alot of stopping power. However I thought the Elixir R's were a huge improvement in terms of modulation. In terms of stopping I thought the R's weren't too bad,however I upgraded the front rotor to a 185 and later to a 203. I also ended up switching out the G3 rotors for RT-76s' Shimano because of the "Turkey Gobble".

If you can upgrade the front rotor to a 185 I definitely think it'' a worthwhile upgrade. However the best bang for the buck in your case would probably be a 203 front rotor that will effect an immediate and very cheap improvement in braking performance.
    Last edited by mefistofeles; 02-28-2012 at 11:11 PM.

FKA Malibu412
    Quote Originally Posted by Kari18 View Post
    If your Sevens are working well and you are concerned with fading with the 160mm, I'd spend the $60 on the parts and keep $120 in my pocket. I have '10 CRs and they work well but half the folks who have/had them hate them for various reasons, mostly for noise and vibration. Mine have no issues.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by trailmax View Post
    maybe you just suck at bleeding avid brakes.

well its certainly possible...

I have only been bleeding hydros since they came onto the market - however this is my first set of Avids... so I got advice from 2 experienced wrenches, watched the vids then followed the instructions... the Avid guy who received the 1st warranty claim reckoned I did a great job on the bleed but that these brakes (XO) had QC problems in 2011 ... my rear brake which I bled works well enough... but the new front replacement is now soft and pushes to the bar?!

As you have pointed out every company has the occasional issue - however it seems Avid is really racking them up...

...and your analogy that Avids outsells Shimano is interesting - maybe they do in your neck of the woods... but I reckon it is 50/50 at best... so the idea that there are substantially more complaints because there are substantially more avid brakes doesn't hold oil.