mtbr member

Avid Elixir Carbon -> Shimano XT

Even though I just built my new 29er with a new set of Avid Elixir 7 brakes, I've not been happy with the the performance I am getting. The Avid's have been noisy and pulsate under light braking. Hard braking is quieter and smoother, lever effort is pretty good as well. However, after reading so many positive reviews about the M785 XT brakes I am pulling the trigger on a new set with Ice tech rotors 180mm/160mm, also ordered the 180mm post Shimano adapter. Guess I also need to order a bleed kit since ai will need to shorten the lines when I install the brakes.

Looking forward to seeing and feeling what everyone is raving about.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I am contemplating doing the same. The Avid's clearances between the pads and rotors are too small for my Cannondale F29 Lefty. Continuous rotor rub especially when I wind her up. I am not sure what brake mount bracket is required for the front? Assume Post to IS as it is IS fork.

mtbr member
    I get some pad to brake rotor rub as well on the Elixirs, I've tried pushing the pads back and resetting the travel but it keeps coming back to the same point. The rub is very light and only noticeable when I'm sitting on the bike and rocking back and forth the pad will squeak a bit.

Post mount, I believe if your screws mount parallel to the axle you would need a post to IS adapter.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Epic_Dude View Post
    Guess I also need to order a bleed kit since ai will need to shorten the lines when I install the brakes.
    I go back and forth between a set of Elixir CR w/ Code frt caliper and XTR M988 w/ a Saint M820 front caliper on my Tallboy LTc. Both sets w/ Goodridge... honestly, I can't tell the diff once each as been set up properly.

Now, on the bleed, you can use the Avid on the Shimano...threads right into the master cyl...but the mineral oil will soften the rubber plunger tip. Not a big deal, just goto Wallgreens and get a 20ml Leurlock syringe...~$0.50 each...to replace. I like the ability to pull a vacuum on the system, ala Avid style.

On the caliper...do you have an old Hayes bleed bottle w/ that tiny spring? I just cut the end off one of your Avid and use that spring to hold the hose onto the bleed nipple.
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

Workin for the weekend!
    If you're good, you won't need to bleed the lines when you cut them to size...

mtbr member
    Thanks for the advice. I have another bike with Avid brakes so I don't want to modify anything in the Avid bleed kit. Yes, I have read that if you are careful you can shorten the line without needing to bleed the line but eventually I will need to change the mineral oil and bleed the line so I may just get a bleed kit now rather than later.

Found a nice little bleed kit on Amazon, what do you guys think?
    Amazon.com: Shimano Disc Brake Bleed Kit, Custom Fittings, 2012 and Newer: Sports & Outdoors

Bike to the Bone...
    Quote Originally Posted by Epic_Dude View Post
    Thanks for the advice. I have another bike with Avid brakes so I don't want to modify anything in the Avid bleed kit. Yes, I have read that if you are careful you can shorten the line without needing to bleed the line but eventually I will need to change the mineral oil and bleed the line so I may just get a bleed kit now rather than later.

Found a nice little bleed kit on Amazon, what do you guys think?
    Amazon.com: Shimano Disc Brake Bleed Kit, Custom Fittings, 2012 and Newer: Sports & Outdoors
    If you want to keep the avid, I would think that you should buy a Avid bleed kit...

Maybe adapting a mineral oil kit to an avid would make sense (not to me) if you already have one, but on the bleed kit you get some oil (DOT or mineral depending on the brand).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rzozaya1969 View Post
    If you want to keep the avid, I would think that you should buy a Avid bleed kit...

Maybe adapting a mineral oil kit to an avid would make sense (not to me) if you already have one, but on the bleed kit you get some oil (DOT or mineral depending on the brand).
    That's not what I meant, I already have an Avid Bleed Kit for my other bikes, just not sure if I could also use it for Shimano brakes without modification. However, I think will go ahead and order another bleed kit for the Shimano brakes, always nice to have everything you need to do the job right.