mtbr member
    May 2008

Avid Elixir (Can't get them to shut up!!)

Hello guys,

I have Avid Elixir brakes that chirp when I am leaning on my bike or just moving it slightly. They also squeal when applied while riding. They are driving me crazy! I find myself riding faster and a little reckless just to avoid hearing the squeal I'm not sure if it is the rotor or the pad causing the noise or a combination of both. Please help me come up with some ideas to remedy the squeal before I go mad! Thanks!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Read This...the problem described is worse than yours, but the idea is the same.

Clean the rotors with alcohol, lightly sand the pads, align the calipers, try a different type of pad, try a different rotor, etc., etc.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I am far from an expert on this but I have Elixirs on my bike as well. They were squealing loud at first. I did as suggested above: cleaned rotors, aligned calipers, sanded/cleaned pads.

It was still a bit squeaky, but far less. Then after the past few rides they are almost silent. I think that the pads may have needed to break in?? I dunno, but I would get it all set up right, get some miles on it..I really am very happy with them now.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Wow... is there a Cliff Notes version of that thread??? That is one long thread! Thanks for the info.

ride hard take risks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelly Klett
    Wow... is there a Cliff Notes version of that thread??? That is one long thread! Thanks for the info.
    Thats the whine post.
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelly Klett
    Yes, I gave you the cliff notes. Try cleaning the rotor and aligning the caliper. Is the problem front and back?

Elixir Manual

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Another user here with the Elixirs, 160 front and rear. They were dead quiet when I first got them, then after 4 really good rides, the front started squealing while braking. I already tried readjusting them (per Avid's instructions) but that didn't change the noise. In the past, I've found that using business cards as shims worked better than the whole squeeze your lever then tighten method. I noticed that with the caliper loose and free to pivot around, squeezing the lever would pull the rotor towards the caliper, and would not move the caliper at all. These clean sweep rotors appear to be less rigid than those hunky solid ones that came with my old BB7's. I think I'm going to try different rotors...

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    buy semi-metallic or organic pads

Riding free's the mind
    Jan 2004
    It's been my experience that the calipers are not properly aligned. The CPS bolt system is both a blessing and kind of a pain.

I like to visually align the caliper first, making sure the CPS bolts are not too loose that there's a lot of slop, just loose enough that you can move the caliper with your fingers. Then follow the squeeze the lever method, tighten down and see if the wheel is spinning free. I think i did this alignment procedure at least 3 times in a row, each time keeping the CPS bolts just a tad tighter that the previous try.

Had similar issues with Juicy's, where it seemed like the noises were just an anomaly of the brakes until I really paid attention to the caliper alignment.
    [SIZE=2]Question to a custom frame builder..."So what makes your bikes climb better?"....his answer, "Uh, your legs?"[/SIZE]