mtbr member
    Jul 2009

Avid Elixir brakes - similar to other questions

I didn't want to hijack any of the other threads, so I started a new one. My issues seem very similar to the ones so many of you already are discussing.

Avid Elixir 5 brakes:

I replaced my pads one day. After running through the bedding process,I couldn't get rid of having the pads pinching the rotor-the wheel wouldn't spin freely and it was pretty tight. So I read and think I have to bleed. I buy the kit and before I even started, I have a bigger issue. Wheel is off, pads removed, I squeezed the lever twice and the one piston pops out completely and dot fluid is flowing out of the caliper. Guess that was not the right thing to do. I was just playing around to get an idea of how that thing works. The one piston is still stuck, the other is on my tool bench.

Any idea why all the fluid poured out? Can I just put the piston back in and then bleed? Or does this indicate something else is amiss?

I have had so many issues with these brakes. Many came along with the brakes, a couple I caused myself. Ugh.

Thanks for any advice!

rebmem rbtm
    Apr 2007
    You shouldn't of squeezed the lever when the pads weren't in and there wasn't a rotor between them.
    If the new pads were rubbing you should of just pushed the pistons back into the caliper.

http://cdn.sram.com/sites/default/fi...al_english.pdf

If that manual doesn't show what you need then see if there's another one.

http://www.sram.com/service/include-archived/avid/all

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    You're right, I shouldn't have squeezed the lever.

Prior to that, I did push the pistons back in as far as possible, but they still dragged the pads against the rotor to the point where the wheel wouldn't spin freely at all.

This all started with the whole turkey warble/ridiculous vibration issue. I tried new rotors, different type of pads, disc brake quiet, on and on and on. I got new pads and now the latest issue. Despite pushing the pistons back in all the way, they still drag significantly. So I wanted to try the bleed. Never got that far. Can I just pop the piston back in or do I need new seals or something? Or is busted?

mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Re: Avid Elixir brakes - similar to other questions

Do not feel bad I did the exact same thing for the exact same reason.

I had my first ride on a stump jumper last week and the rear brakes left a little to be desired. They sounded like a rally car coming into a corner with all the squeaks and crap..so I talked to the LBS and he said to take the pads n rotors off and clean so I did and I wanted to make sure that was the noise; so I pushed around driveway. When I got into garage I grabbed the brake out of instinct to stop the bike ( rotor and pads off ) There goes the piston and some fluid.

I got things put back together and I read on the manual to make sure the lines go vertical because otherwise the holes to allow the fluid back into the caliper are not lined up.

Hope that helps, my bleed kit gets here tomorrow!

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I bled my brakes 4 times yesterday, including once at the bike shop.. any ideas on why it wasn't getting firm?

Only thing I can think of is when the piston fell out a oring got messed up. Anyone else run into something like this?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 4 Beta

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I am on a new Stumpy again this year, and with it, yet another set of Elixir's ....... this will be the last set of Elixir's, that is for sure. I have had continued noise, vibration and pad dragging on ALL of three sets, three different bikes. It just seems the pads and/or rotors get contaminated easily and once they do, the sound and vibration starts. As far as the pads dragging, I've bled them, the shop has bled them and in both cases, the dragging reappears within a few hard rides. Its frustrating. I don't want to be a Negative Nelly, but switching it up to SLX or XTs might be the most time and cost effective option in the end, thats what I am doing. Just my 2 cents.
    '

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I ended up taking the brake and caliper off the bike and bench bleeding it. Have ridden ~45 miles of single track since then and they have been great.

Layvon