mtbr member
    Nov 2008

Avid Elixir adapter question

Hey all,

Just a quick question. I ordered and received a set of Avid Elixir brakes, but they did not come with all the hardware, at least i think. I ordered 185mm and received the proper post mount adapter to make them work, however the kit did not come with bolts long enough to install them. Are the longer bolts supposed to come with the brakes, or am i supposed to just pull them out of my butt? I mean really, i would think the proper hardware should come with the brakes. I would just run down to my local Home Depot, but the problem is i live on a tiny island south of Japan, and we don't have such a place. So am i wrong in my thinking that bolts long enough to install the brakes should be included? Does anyone know of anywhere i can order some replacements that will be long enough, possibly in titanium even?

Thanks,
    Jason

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

Every Avid brake set....

I've ever owned or currently own came with all the hardware needed to install the calipers and rotors. If you are missing caliper mounting bolts then they either got missed during packaging or were removed at some point. This is assuming that they are new in the box brakes. If you have mounting bolts that are too short, it's also possible that the wrong bolts were included with the set, or that the set was originally a 160mm set and someone "made" a 185mm set and forgot to swap out the bolts. Whether new or used I'd contact whom ever you purchased the brake from. They should be able to make this right. Though, considering your location, it might take some time.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

I just ordered a set.

There should be a bag with the bolts for the rotor and the mount.

The other bolts came bolted to the caliper adaptor.

No offense, Did you check the bottom of the box where the rotor is?

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Yup, the bags of hardware are there, just no longer bolts to mount the 185mm. I have checked the entire box. I sent an email to the seller, we will see what they say.

mtbr member
    My 185mm Front Elixir CRs came with the long post mount bolts... They were in the plastic bag with all the hardware...