mtbr member
    Jan 2013

Avid Elixir 7SL Specific problem question (not squealing!)

Hey guys. Bike is a 2012 Stumpy FSR Comp 29. Avid Elixir 7 SL's. Talking rear brake here 160mm.

Just bought this bike used with less than 75 miles on it. Under a load, the rear brake rotor, VERY outside diameter is rubbing something within the caliper creating a "Tick, Tick, Tick" noise with a similar feel. (realizing that the rotar is not a circle, it has high and low points in it's circumference) If you look at the outside edge of the rotar, you can see where it is barely scratching the metal. Its driving me insane and making the rear brake feel like hell.

Here's the kicker. On the stand, I get nothing, so its hard to replicate or figure out where to begin. Anyone seen this before? Any advice here on a potential adjustment that could help?

Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I have an '11 Epic with the same [RSL] brake and it did the same thing; also was used so I don't know the repair history. If the calliper is set too low it will hit the spokes of the rotor and too high it will have pad above it. Mine was way low so I shimmed it up to where it ran in the right area, but I still get a whirring sound at high speeds even after resurfacing the rotor.

But the low speed noise is gone and it doesn't gobble or squeal unless dead cold so I'm not fixing it. I think the pad having been riding too far into the 'spokes' has given it some sort of subtle wear pattern that won't wear off.

My experience with these brakes is that unless they are set up perfectly to begin with and the pistons are kept moving freely and evenly, you get funny wear patterns that require a pad and rotor change to fix. I like the way they work and can deal with keeping them happy, but you have to get them installed perfectly and keep on top of them.

Sounds like you need to shim the calliper up some; look at the front and shim to rear to suit. If you have areas at the outer edge that are unworn you can file them flush before they attack your pads. Given that it has 75 miles on it, there shouldn't be much to file off unless it was 75 times up the chairlift.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Yeah, the front break is pretty rock solid. I am coming off of Shimano SLX which I actually loved.

Any details you can provide on "shimming the caliper up some"? I tried to download the manual for the 7's but it has errored out 3 times now. This could be above my skill level. I'll also inspect the rotor to see if there is an unworn loop on the outside edge. Good call on that.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I don't have a Stumpy but the Epic has two resin 'spacer towers' with a washer on top and long bolts. It's possible that somebody left out or dropped a washer on those. I just measured the width of the uncontacted part of the disc and got two washers from the LBS that were the same thickness.

If you're used to SLX brakes, you'll probably never really bond to Elixirs. But they are not as bad as the whiners make out. I've never bled mine. They make the occasional 'statement' but no constant racket. And there is a feel to them that I personally like.

I think that mineral oil lubricates seals better than glycol and is just a better fluid for a bike brake. Plus my wife's bike is Shimano so it would make life simpler. So I plan to run the Avids until they crap out hydraulically and then go Shimano. Just hope the hydraulics don't go south right after new pads and rotors!