Nooby Clydesdale
    Aug 2012

Avid elixir 7 SL pad spacing problem

I've got a problem with my avid elixir 7sl that came stock with my 12 stumpjumper fsr. I have had it for a just about a year and I recently replaced the brake pads. The problem I had is I can't get the piston to retract into the caliper. I've tried everything I know how to do starting with a screwdriver in the old pad to a box wrench. When I push on one side the other comes out. It seems like the brake has too much pressure to let the piston to fully return. Some thoughts I had to fix it are:

Can I open the bleed screw and let a tiny bit of fluid out? Or will that introduce air?

Should I just go through the whole billed process since its probably been over a year sine it was done?

Is there a pad adjustment on the 7 that I don't know about?

Thanks in advance

mtbr member
    do both of the pistons move in the caliper? you might need to clean them and lube the seals. finding instructions for this elsewhere should be easy. if that does not help:

1. as you suggested, loosen the bleed screw on the lever.
    2. cross your fingers and hope no air gets in the system.
    3. let a little brake fluid dribble out of the lever. keep the bolt close so you can screw it back in quickly!
    4. if no fluid dribbles out, slowly squeeze the lever to push some fluid out. do no release the lever once you push it in! that will create a vacuum and put air in the system.
    5. screw the bolt back in and clean everything thoroughly with isopropyl alcohol. clean it good!
    6. try to press force the pistons back apart.

this works for me 99% of the time when I get Avid brakes that bind up.

Nooby Clydesdale
    Aug 2012
    Both pistons move but when one is in, the other is out.
    I'm heading downstairs to try bleeding a tiny bit. Thanks for the advice. I'll report back

Nooby Clydesdale
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Mlutton View Post
    Both pistons move but when one is in, the other is out.
    I'm heading downstairs to try bleeding a tiny bit. Thanks for the advice. I'll report back
    All right. One piston now doesn't move. I was pushing on the other side and it extended and locked up. I've looked around at how to fix this and it seems like cleaning with dot fluid will do the trick. Hopefully....
    Thanks and I'll keep you posted.

Nooby Clydesdale
    Aug 2012
    Well the saga continues. I went to bleed the system and I couldn't get it to move fluid at all. I withdrew a little bit on the caliper syringe and some chunks of o-ring came out. Not having a rebuild kit and also not having the time, I just threw in the towel and took it to a LBS to have them fix the brake. Thanks for the advice and ill let you know what they say was wrong with it when all is said and done.