mtbr member

Avid Elixir 5 vs SLX

Went to my LBS and he is offering both systems complete and installed for the same price. Let's hear it...which would you choose???

mtbr member
    I would go SLX just for something different. I've been running Avid Juicy and BB7s for years, and would be fun to try out some Shimano.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Personally I am not a big fan of Avid's tri-alignment system. That reason alone I personally would not bother with the Elixirs. Truth be told I have run Elixirs before and they were quite good, great power and tolerable modulation, but a pain in the hindquarters every time an adjustment was needed, albeit not frequent.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    the only issue i've seen with the elixir's from myself and two friends that ride them is they can be rather loud.
    Came from BB5's now running Avid Elixir R SL.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    From talking with my friends who work at one of my local bike shops (friends as in I met them outside of the shop before I knew they worked there), they recommend shimano hydros. Avids have a tendency to work well or not at all. On the other side of the coin, Avid has a tendency replace defective parts quickly where Shimano (although not bad customer service) didn't. Avid just didn't ask questions.

All that said, I have a set of Elixir 5's and love them. Easy installation, great power and feel, it just took Avid replacing a leaking caliper to get there.

mtbr member
    Interesting, as a general consensus I take it that everyone prefers Shimano but are running Avid….Huh.

Right now I’m leaning toward the SLX’s and hope to make a decision before the weekend so I can try them out….

mtbr member
    I'm running SLX and loving them so far. Good modulation, more than enough stopping power for my 235 pounds and steep Colorado trails (I use 180F/160R rotors). I've yet to experience any brake fade even on longer downhills. As with all hydraulic disc brakes, they take a few rides to bed in completely, but once they do they're even better. They're easy to install, align, and setup. I have 0 rotor rub currently. The best part of it all? They're QUIET! I've been doing a lot of group rides and there are a lot of people with really noisy brakes, usually Hayes and Avid. I've got some of the quietest brakes on the trail.

You get the tool-free reach adjust not found on the Elixir 5 model. I also really like the feel of the levers but that's a personal preference thing.

They also use mineral oil which is less caustic, easier to work with, and better for the environment if you care about that at all.
    Gotta get up to get down.
    LMB

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I'm running SLX and I'm very impressed! Strong, quiet, and no rub. I've heard that shimanos don't like the extreme cold though. Not an issue where I live.

Legend
    Nov 2004
    Honestly, everywhere I have ever been that brakes take a beating (read: real mountains), people dislike Avids (myself included) because they simply don't hold up well to severe situations. They work well-enough for a while, then they "wear out" and suck no matter how many times you bleed them or rebuild them. My Juicy 7s were completely overhauled by Avid techs (new internals for EVERYTHING: calipers and levers), and a few bleeds to try and make them better, still worse than all the SLX ones I have seen around, and DEFINITELY worse than Saints (which are admittedly a different price-point).

Compare the Avid experience with Shimano's: they work well (exceptional, i'd say) and continue until they break ... but outright replacement parts (ie: new caliper) are cheap (generally cheaper than the rebuild parts for Avid).

mtbr member
    I've recently been doing a lot of group rides and have been stuck behind some slower downhillers at times. I'm ok with this as it's a social ride, but I've had to constantly be on the brakes so I don't run over the person in front of me. Any time I get off the brakes I quickly overtake them. So even with having to be slightly on the brakes full time for an entire long downhill section, I've never had an issue with the SLX. No loud noises, no brake fade. I'm a fan. Being that I got them for $99 per wheel brand new, I'm an even bigger fan.
    LMB

Rub it............
    I've been using the Avid stuff for several years, BB7's and Juicy 7's. They work great for me.

However, I'd suggest the SLX's as the bleeding process is much, much easier than the Elixers.

If I was doing a brake system all over again, I'd go for the Shimano's. But I couldn't pass up the deal on the Juicy 7's.

mtbr member
    OK, you guys talked me into it...I'm getting the SLX's w/180mm both front and back but it's just not happening as fast as I want it...should have them on before next weekend...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zenkem
    OK, you guys talked me into it...I'm getting the SLX's w/180mm both front and back but it's just not happening as fast as I want it...should have them on before next weekend...
    I was in the same boat as you and ended up deciding SLX over Elixir. I'm happy with my choice. Let me know what you think of them once you get em installed on the bike.
    LMB

mtbr member
    Had my SLX's on for a week now and they ROCK!!! I have a new found confidence on trail.

Something that happened to me this last Sunday: I was riding some Single Track that I've rode numerous times but because I felt better about my brakes I was moving faster then I normally do. At one point I pulled the rear lever to keep my speed in check when nothing happened...that is until I hit the ground and rear was already locked up...which I had to get off the brake right away. This all happened in slow motion and afterwords I had a big smile on my face...LOL!!!
    Last edited by zenkem; 09-22-2010 at 03:45 AM.