mtbr member
    Mar 2010

Avid Elixir 5 or Magura Julie HP?

Hi,

Iím running a 2005 Kona Blast, while on the whole it has proved reliable the Shimano Mechanical Disc brakes - BR-M465ís - have had their time.

I was originally looking to replace the BR-M465ís with the Magura Julie HP 2009s (160mm), but Iíve seen some Avid Elixir 5 2010s (160mm) on sale for the same price. Which should I opt for Ė the Magura Julie HP 2009s or Avid Elixir 5 2010s?

The original rotors are 160mm, so I expect I can only opt for 160mm replacements?

Cheers!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I got some Avid Elixir R's today , 203mm . It was a toss up between these or a set of Magura Louise but i got a good deal on them . After running some crappy Tektro for a year or two i wanted some thing that was robust and wouldn't crap out on me going through heavy mud.
    I gotta say they look and feel great.You can get an adapter for any size 6 bolt rotor.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Get the Julies. Made in Germany, not China or Taiwan. Easy as hell to bleed.

b a n n e d
    I have Elixir 5's and hate them.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I have elixir 5's but tonight will be the first ride on them.

And you don't have to stay 160mm, I got 203mm fronts and 185mm backs. The brakes came with the bigger rotors and adapters to run them. Didn't have to use any of my old brake parts. So it doesn't matter that you are coming from 160mm unless your frame/fork/wheel has some sort of restriction.

official eMpTyBRain
    Magura anything over Avid anything, anyday!
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    What about the hayes stroker trails vs the other two? sorry dont mean to thread-steal just wondering.
    (\ /)
    (O.o)
    (> <)
    This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination.

official eMpTyBRain
    Anything Magura over anything Hayes...
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation