igz
    mtbr member
    May 2009

New question here. Avid Elixir 5 help please

Hi all,
    Bought my bike year ago and all was good until last week, while riding, rear brake lever went really hard for some reason and rear brake power went to about 40%. I couldn't pull the lever more than 5-6mm. It started to squeeze calipers on its own. It was so bad that I could no longer ride the bike but had to remove rear brake from the frame and used some sticky tape to tape to the frame, being left only with front brake.

Today I wanted to push back pistons and I couldn't so I removed fluid, and using Avid bleed kit I put new fluid and without bubbles, I hope, pushed pistons back in. Now, calipers are touching the disc a lot less, it's kinda ridable but lever is AGAIN very hard to press and power is at about 40% again.

Would you have any suggestions regarding this? Many thanks.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Hello IGZ - I would take the bike to a trusted LBS (perhaps the place that you purchased it from) and have them check out the brakes. Hopefully you can get the rear brake replaced under warranty if there is a issue.

b a n n e d
    did you clean the pistons? I am no expert, but might this be caused by a sticky piston? (i.e., they can be pushed out but aren't retracting?

Though I don't know if this would explain the loss of power . . .

igz
    mtbr member
    May 2009
    Thanx for reply and suggestion. I tried everything but it didn't work. I bled them 3 times with no luck. After some further research I found that Elixir Fives are pretty s**t anyway. Many people are having same problem as I do. I had Juicy Fives on older bike and they were good, I thought Avid had the best brakes but now, ofter reading what people said about Shimano brakes I'm starting to switch to them.

I wanted to go riding but I couldn't because rear brake is none-existing pretty much which pissed me off very much, so much so that after reading awesome reviews from people with Shimano brakes and overall more positive reviews when compared to Avid brakes I decided to DO IT and ordered Shimano XT M785 brakes. I found awesome deal which included brake set with rotors included $299 AUD.

So I'm waiting now to get them installed and go nuts pretty much. I have read nothing but awesome stuff about these brakes. If they prove to be good I'm making permanent switch to Shimano brakes but still going with SRAM for drivetrain.

Cheers.