Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Avid Elixir 5

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

... and if we just ... UPDATE :: Avid Elixir 5

I just installed these last night and took them around the block to get a quick feel of how they compare to my previous always needed adjusting Hayes Sole. WOW! What a difference.

I found a great deal at Greenfishsports.com. I had never ordered from there and the delivery was prompt. I installed these on a 2005 Trance 3. 160 mm front and rear. I'll be taking these out after work today to get a proper break in.

Installation was a snap and only took me two or three tries with the CP bolts to get the calipers to line up properly. The gap between the pads and the rotor is really small.

These area the base model Elixirs and are perfect for me as I'm a non doodad person. I'll report again after a few more rides but already I can tell it's going to be a big improvement.

///UPDATE :: After first ride ////

I was a bit tired last Friday but went out for a ride anyways. It was a bit late and I didn't have much daylight left etc. My first trail impressions are good ones. First, the levers actually communicate the grab of the rotors. Second even on the first ride the power available is way more than what the Hayes Soles could dish out. Third by the end of the ride my rear brake was more broken in than my front. I tend to use it more. So it had more power at the end of my ride *I expect two or three more rides and the front will be up to par and the brakes will be more than adequate for me. They were quiet but the trails were dry.
    Last edited by Chicote; 09-15-2009 at 07:29 AM. Reason: Update information

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Update::

I've had a few more rides to break the Elixir 5's in. I must say I'm really impressed. One finger on the lever is all that is needed. I still need to get used to panic situations and not grab as much brake as I normally would. I love how I can really control how much brake I need – definitely a worth while upgrade from the not so loved Sole.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Good to hear you are pleased. I'd like to know if anyone has experience with both the elixir 5 and juicy 5 (SL - "specialized thing") ? Right now I have the Juicy, but a little more power wouldn't bother me..

Mal Ad Osteo
    When I demo'd my Yeti it had Juicy 5s, wasn't too impressed with them, little hard to keep the pads in check and they didn't have much modulation for me at least.

The Elixir 5s came standard on my build, and so far I've liked them. Pretty good stopping power, maybe a tid bit better than the Juicys, but modulation is WAY better.

mtbr member
    I just ordered some of the Elixir 5's from Greenfish as well. Best deal I could find and since they are east coast it shouldn't take 5 business days to get here like ordering from places in Cali. Can't wait. Ordered the 185's to replace my 160 BB7 mechanical discs. Should be a drastic improvement.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I'm running the Avid Elixer 5s with my setup and haven't had anything bad to say about them yet.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I am in the process of building up a 2005 Kona Coiler frame and in the market for new brakes. I really enjoyed the Elixir 5s on the Jamis BAM 2 DH rental at Mt. Snow VT that I was able to test out. They were a huge upgrade from my current mech. BB7s. I am new to hydraulic discs and were drawn to the Elixir 5s b/c of the price (same sweet deal at Greenfish Adv.) and experience I have with them in VT.

Does anyone experience noisey rear rotors or brake drag or any issues like that? Ive read some negative reviews and want to be certain they are just due to installation problems and not acutal Avid hardware problems...

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I had Juicy 5's on my 2008 HiFi Deluxe 29er and hated them. If it was humid or a little we you could here me 5 miles a way and I could never keep them adjusted. So I bought a pair of Hayes Stroker Grams which were a great improvement, but a little soft for me.

I just bought a 2011 HiFi Deluxe 29er with Elixir 5's on it and I am totally happy with them. They have much more power than either of the other 2 and completely quite all of the time. The only time I have heard anything with them is Thursday riding in a lot of mud and that was only the grinding noise you here when sand get's in them

As far as I am concerned they are great brakes and really no reason to buy anything more expensive.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    My brake pads won't release fully off the rotor on my new Camber Expert. They are Eliver 5 sl's and only have 50 miles on them. They were fine until the last ride I went on. They stay in contact with the rotor even when the lever is released. Applying the brake results in a locked rear wheel unless you very lightly feather it. Any ideas?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooper View Post
    My brake pads won't release fully off the rotor on my new Camber Expert. They are Eliver 5 sl's and only have 50 miles on them. They were fine until the last ride I went on. They stay in contact with the rotor even when the lever is released. Applying the brake results in a locked rear wheel unless you very lightly feather it. Any ideas?
    reposition the caliper and center the pads. should help

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I've got Elixir 5's on my Cannondale Rush, my front brake works fine but my rear brake is an on-off switch. I seem to have lost almost all lever play, my pads only rub occasionally, which seems to be the norm, I've re-aligned my caliper to no avail. It's almost like the fluid has expanded. Any thoughts?

mtbr member
    I've got Elixir 5's on my GT Sensor 9r, and i totally love them. My previous disc experience was with Hayes HFX-9's on my Kona. They were fine for what they were, cheap hydro brakes. The Elixirs are in a different league than the Nines.

I've only had them for a month now, one long weekend ride and a few shorter rides, so I don't have a long ownership history, but they've been completely trouble-free and reliable.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011

No good

Update on my elixir 5's- I rode the other day and slowly but surely my rear brake started to lock up. I had to remove the caliper to make it back to the trailhead. I've sent it back to Pricepoint for an exchange, luckily they are still under warranty

mtbr member
    Elixir 5

Advantages:
    -Fairly cheap
    -Modulate well
    -Fairly powerful

Disadvantages
    -Prone to being under-filled with fluid from factory
    -Prone to needing a bleed when new
    -Pads aren't great
    -Metal is cheap and may crack on lever housing
    -Some get an air-leak
    -Not that adjustable
    -CS3 rotors are not great, floating rotors are ideal
    -Rear can howl

mtbr member
    Elixir5 SL's just came on the Camber expert I picked up Saturday and they are fine, not as nice as the Formula RX's I had on my niner but they work ok.
    The biggest difference I've noticed is in the modulation, not as good as it was on the Formula RX. The bike came with huge rotors, oerkill honestly, 203 front and 185 rear on the size large Camber. I was running 185 front and 160 rear RX's on my EMD and they were better.
    Hardrock 29er, Niner EMD9, Cannondale F29, Camber Expert, 650b Nickel all gone.
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5 here.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by madsedan View Post
    Elixir5 SL's just came on the Camber expert I picked up Saturday and they are fine, not as nice as the Formula RX's I had on my niner but they work ok.
    The biggest difference I've noticed is in the modulation, not as good as it was on the Formula RX. The bike came with huge rotors, oerkill honestly, 203 front and 185 rear on the size large Camber. I was running 185 front and 160 rear RX's on my EMD and they were better.
    Same bike, bought the same day, with the same opinion

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I has my LBS repave the bad caliper under warranty, but now the dern thing won't slow the bike down much at all. I went from a rear brake that locked up with the slightest touch, to one that won't lock the rear tire no matter how hard you squeeze the lever. This is my first experience with disk brakes. Please tell me they aren't all like this! I guess I will tell the shop they need to adjust them? I feel like a jerk bringing it back again, but the brakes aren't working still. Am I being to picky? My front brake has been spot on perfect since I bought the bike. Only the rear is acting up.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I just realized I said "repave" instead of "replace"... I need some sleep

mtbr member
    As your attorney I recommend you have a drink and go to bed.
    I was talking to my brother today and mentioned your problems, he reminded me about the nightmare he had with his Elixir 5's as well. The rear brake took a dump on the first ride and blew fluid. They replaced it and had to bleed the brakes like 3-4 times before they were right, now he is fine with them.

The Formula RX I had all I did was remove from box and install, 15 minutes, and never did a thing after that, they still work perfectly.
    Hardrock 29er, Niner EMD9, Cannondale F29, Camber Expert, 650b Nickel all gone.
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5 here.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooper View Post
    I has my LBS repave the bad caliper under warranty, but now the dern thing won't slow the bike down much at all. I went from a rear brake that locked up with the slightest touch, to one that won't lock the rear tire no matter how hard you squeeze the lever. This is my first experience with disk brakes. Please tell me they aren't all like this! I guess I will tell the shop they need to adjust them? I feel like a jerk bringing it back again, but the brakes aren't working still. Am I being to picky? My front brake has been spot on perfect since I bought the bike. Only the rear is acting up.
    Have you bedded the pads into the rotor properly???
    Rimmer - "There's an old human saying - if you talk garbage, expect pain"

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    update on my Elixir 5's- Avid ended up replacing my rear brakes and they seem to work fine now. I'm pretty sure they were defective from the get-go. The front has always worked perfect. Hopefully it will be troublefree from here, it took like 5 weeks to get back going dealing with pricepoint and then them dealing with Avid. It was a long time without a bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Elixir 5

just put elixir 5 on my front. upgrade from rim brakes. granted i'm not used to disc brakes, but my lever pulls in almost all the way to the handlebar before engaging the brake. Brake is installed fine with no rub. my buddy says the brake will get stronger over time....will it get that much stronger???

mtbr member

No, get them bled.

Quote Originally Posted by springski View Post
    just put elixir 5 on my front. upgrade from rim brakes. granted i'm not used to disc brakes, but my lever pulls in almost all the way to the handlebar before engaging the brake. Brake is installed fine with no rub. my buddy says the brake will get stronger over time....will it get that much stronger???
    No, that's not normal. Is this a new brake or a takeoff from another bike? My Elixir 5's have been quite firm at the lever from day one.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    yeah, they're brand new. can't return due to a "bro-deal" Bro says ride'm to get'm stronger- or they'll have to be bled. bleeding a brand new brake seems pretty lame to me.

mtbr member
    Unfortunately it sounds like they need bleeding, even if they are new. They won't "get stronger" at the lever end no matter how much you ride. I suspect your Bro is talking aboutthe pads bedding in, which they will do with use.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast