mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Avid Elixir 3 Issue

Hello,
    The other day, I turned my bike upside down and spun the front wheel to see if my rotor was rubbing, also pressed the lever a few times, after I put my bike on the wheel I noticed the lever was loose, I had to press it almost to the handlebar to get some stopping power, anyway, becasue I'm stupid, I took the wheel off and pressed the lever by mistake, I managed to push the piston back in and insert the wheel, but the rotor is rubbing really bad, I also tried unscrewing the caliper and press the lever, it didn't work. What should I do? I had the same problem when I fixed a flat tire, but I don't remember how I fixed it.

TLR - Brake lever loose, pads rubbing the rotor.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    If the rotor is rubbing, either you didn't manage to push the pads back far enough, or the wheel is misaligned in the dropouts.
    Rimmer - "There's an old human saying - if you talk garbage, expect pain"

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexRandall View Post
    If the rotor is rubbing, either you didn't manage to push the pads back far enough, or the wheel is misaligned in the dropouts.
    I don't think the wheel is misaligned and I am sure I pushed the pads back in far enough, but this problem appeared when I turned the bike upside down, so I think I might have some air in the system that traveled from the master cylinder to the brake caliper. I took the wheel off and squezeed the lever a little bit and I noticed one of the pistons was barely moving, while the other moved a lot more, does that mean I have to bleed them?

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    don't operate the brake upside down.

I would take wheel off, push pistons back in as far as possible (upside down ok).
    put wheel back on, but don't squeeze.. flip right side up.
    Wait overnight for air to travel back up to top (if it's there; as brake system was engineered to handle a little air).
    the pistons should still clear the rotor easily as you pushed them out.
    then squeeze the lever a few times until the caliper grabs the rotor.
    spin the wheel, realign the rotor, if needed.
    If you the levers still feel mushy, wait another night.
    if they still feel mush, bleed.

if you do need a bleed, I use the generic avid bleed kit on ebay, works great.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I just came back from my garage, pushed the pistons back as you said, gonna leave it like that overnight.
    Could a air bubble on the right side of the caliper cause that loose lever and slow moving piston because it need more power to push through the bubble? Sorry for these stupid questions, but I'm a noob, this is my first "real" bike.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    EDIT: Lever throw has been mostly fixed after riding it for a little bit

Bumping up this thread since i have somewhat similar issue.

Bike is brand new never rode it yet. Rear brakes lever came with adequate travel before biting. Now, it bites with just the slightest pull on the lever. Below is a comparison vid of front brake lever vs. rear brake lever.

I'm going to try to have the bike "right side up" and see if that solves the problem, but in case it doesn't do I need a bleed?

Also, by "right side up," it means laying the bike on the floor with the derailleur and sprocket side up right?

Last edited by BobaX; 09-22-2013 at 11:29 PM.