mtbr member

Avid Elixir 3 or Deore M596

Hi guys!

I'm changing the v-brakes on my Hardrock for a pair of disc brakes. And these will be my first st of hydraulic brakes ever! So I'm basically a disc brake noob!

The reason is, the trail I ride became very muddy because of the frequent rain down here. And when I ride through a muddy section the brakes get misaligned and start to rub the rim. This happens every time when I go through a muddy section. I only started MTBing this May so I didn't knew how the v-brakes would behave in deep mud. I ride in light AMish trails and don't do much jumps but love to ride fast. The brakes work well in summer time though.

Levers and front brake calipers: Avid SD7
    Rear brake caliper: stock Tektro
    Brake Cable: Jagwire Ripcord
    Brake Pads: Switchback Tri-Zone cartridge

The pads and cables are only a month old.

The 2012 Avid Elixir 3s are going 95 with 180mm rotors and post mount adaptors.
    Deore M596 are 100 without rotors or adaptors (+ 70 for rotors and adaptors) .

I'm in a tight budget so I can't spend more.
    Are the Elixirs a good buy?
    I can get the M596 now but have to get the rotors and the adaptors in a later day.
    Also I will install them myself.

Would really appreciate your help.

Thanks in advance!

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    before you get avid hydraulic brakes read this thread
    The Juicy brake turkey warble/vibration MEGA THREAD

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I'll never buy elixirs again. Shimano or hayes. I use Hayes.
    There's something about those long grueling climbs that gets my front end all stiff... And I'm not talking about lockout...

mtbr member
    Are they that bad?
    Even for normal trail riding?

No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    If you were interested in saving a bit of dough, the Avid BB7s have pretty good reviews and will save you a bit of money because you can find BB7 kits on most internet seller websites for a good deal. You already have levers that will work with them too.

Be that as it may, I wouldn't drop any money on Avid hydros if I were buying brakes. Shimano all day, every day.
    Fat guys need bikes too.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bravo4588 View Post
    Are they that bad?
    Even for normal trail riding?
    Maybe

Avid brakes get a lot of bad feedback. I have had no problems with older Juicy 5 and 3's.

Avid addressed a number of the problems with them and the 2012 models should be better than the earlier models. ( I would only buy 2012 or newer Elixer brakes).

The Avid brakes you have linked to are a lot cheaper they include rotors and mounts.

I would buy the Shimano brakes. If I was on a very tight budget I would give the Avids a try. If you find you don't like them then this might become a more expensive option for you.

Shimano brakes are easier to bleed. Shimano use "oil" and Avid use brake fluid (DOT) commonly used in cars.

Avid sell spare parts for there brakes.
    Duct tape iz like teh Force. It has a Lite side and a Dark side and it holdz the Universe together.

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    The Deore M596 is a fantastic brake - at any price.

I used them on my DH bike this season and later on my carbon HT 29er, no problems ever. Great feel, bulletproof.

I've never had an Avid brake I was happy with.
    NOAH SEARS
    MRP
    TECH QUESTIONS HERE: INFO@MRPBIKE.COM

mtbr member
    Your hubs are "disc brake" hubs?

You can always put a disc brake on the front and upgrade the rear later.
    Duct tape iz like teh Force. It has a Lite side and a Dark side and it holdz the Universe together.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mitzikatzi View Post
    Maybe

Avid brakes get a lot of bad feedback. I have had no problems with older Juicy 5 and 3's.

Avid addressed a number of the problems with them and the 2012 models should be better than the earlier models. ( I would only buy 2012 or newer Elixer brakes).

The Avid brakes you have linked to are a lot cheaper they include rotors and mounts.

I would buy the Shimano brakes. If I was on a very tight budget I would give the Avids a try. If you find you don't like them then this might become a more expensive option for you.

Shimano brakes are easier to bleed. Shimano use "oil" and Avid use brake fluid (DOT) commonly used in cars.

Avid sell spare parts for there brakes.
    Thank you!

The Avids I'm asking about are these: AVID 2012 ELIXIR 3 Paire de Freins Blanc Disques HS1 180mm IS - ALLTRICKS
    I might be able to save a bit by getting the Avids but if they are as bad as everyone says then the M596 are my other option.

I want to get a durable set because I won't be able to get the cash to change them again.
    Used are out of the option because I'm used to the moto style(right lever = Front brake) lever placement whereas all the brakes that sell here are the opposite. And I don't want to go through the hassle of changing the hose and bleeding.

mtbr member
    A lot of the English bike shops sell brakes "right front".
    Avid brakes work on either side.
    It is fairly simple to swap Shimano brakes from left to right. Done properly no need to re bleed the system.

mtbr member
    Your hubs are "disc brake" hubs?

You can always put a disc brake on the front and upgrade the rear later.
    It is the rear I'm having the most trouble with.
    The front SD7 calipers act up only in severe muddy sections.

And my wheels Shimano MT15 centerlock which I got for a bargain in a clearance sale.
    Not fitted yet, waiting to get the brakes.
    They are not the best out there but beggars can't be choosers eh?

mtbr member
    If you hubs are center lock then those Avid rotors won't fit you will need an adapter.

mtbr member
    A lot of the English bike shops sell brakes "right front".
    Avid brakes work on either side.
    It is fairly simple to swap Shimano brakes from left to right. Done properly no need to re bleed the system.
    Yup.
    The M596 have 30% off at CRC UK. 50 per brake w/o rotor or PM adaptor.
    Shimano Deore M596 Disc Brake | Buy Online | ChainReactionCycles.com

I know the Avids are ambidextrous that's why i was considering them.
    The centerlock adaptors are 12 each.
    ASHIMA Adaptateur Center Lock Gold pour montage 6 trous - ALLTRICKS

If I go with the Avids I might be able to save about 50 (including the cl adaptors) which is a lot for me. But if they are problematic then I've to go with the Shimanos.

mtbr member
    Shimano Deore Disc Brake BR-M596 Set

I have found some of the German shops to be competitively priced.

mtbr member
    Shimano Deore Disc Brake BR-M596 Set

I have found some of the German shops to be competitively priced.
    That is awesome! Thanks!
    But unfortunately the set is out of stock and the right lever is for the rear brake.
    But each of the M596 is 45 apiece and available in the same site..

mtbr member
    Product usually comes back in stock fairly quickly (maybe a little slower at this time of year?)

Brakes come with long hoses that often need shortening, Just swap the levers over at the same time.

Hose trimming

mtbr member
    Product usually comes back in stock fairly quickly (maybe a little slower at this time of year?)

Brakes come with long hoses that often need shortening, Just swap the levers over at the same time.

Hose trimming
    Yeah I'm not in a hurry so I'll wait till they restock.
    Thanks a lot for your help!!
    Much appreciate it!!