mtbr member
    Jan 2013

avid elixer Shimano replacement?

I'm in a bit of a time crunch and don't have the chance to look this up so I hope one of you out there can help.

A buddy of mine has Avid Elixirs. They have gone south. I just upgraded to XT from my LX Shimano. Can I simply transfer my LX brakes to his bike? Are there rotor incompatibilities, for instance? I'm thinking too simple, I know, but I'd love for him to be able to drive on over and I simply swap the Elixirs for the LX. Possible, or are their little things I'm overlooking? Which wouldn't surprise me. He wants to ride this weekend and if I could, we'd switch Friday night. Thanks for any help!

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I was able to use my avid rotors when I upgraded from elixir 5 to XT. Hoses might not be the right length.

mtbr member
    In general, it should be a swap and the adapters should work fine. The AVID calipers are offset to account for the CPS washers. In some circumstances, you may need a 1 or 2 1mm shim washers to get the pad fully on the rotor. I have Shimano Deore, Deore LX, SLX, Tektro and Avid Elixirs and have moved each of them around on my bikes without any troubles as long as the hoses are the right length as goodmojo pointed out as well.

MTB B'dos
    Should be fine as long as the hoses are long enough and you have the right adapters to fit his fork/bike - back should be IS so you'll need the POST to IS adapter which should already be on the rear brake, front could be IS or POST mount. Other than that the rotors should work, but might not be a bad idea to give them a good clean with some alcohol and a rub with some fine sand paper, but give them a go first to see how they work. ParkTools.com: The Leading Park Tool Site on the Net
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My MTB vids