Slazz
    Aug 2008

Avid Elixer R SL's

I have a 2009 Stumpjumper Comp with the Avid Elixer R SL's. When I go to use the rear brake it has a longer pull before the brake is engaged. When I hit the front its almost instant. Do I need to bleed the rear brake? It just doesnt feel like it bites hard enough. Also, the front brake makes a weird buzzing noise when I use the brake.

Any suggestions???

Spice
    Dec 2008
    give them a bleed
    make sure the caliper is aligned properly on the front? apparently copper compound reduces the buzz

mtbr member
    I'd try this first:

First, remove the wheels and use something like a clean tire lever, or other non-gouging device, to push the pads/pistons all the way back so that the pads are touching the caliper body. Wheels back in and pump the levers until the pistons reposition themselves. (Make sure they're aligned and that the rotor doesn't deflect any when the pads make contact during application.) Hopefully, they will now be even. If not, you can remove the wheel of the brake with the too-long lever feel and CAREFULLY apply the brake until the pads move in slightly, finding a resting place further inboard. getting both brakes to match can take some fiddling.

If this doesn't work, then consider the bleed.