mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Avid Elixer question

I just took possession of a brand new Rumblefish 1 and I love it.
    I did notice that after about an hour though I'm getting this weird sort of metallic swirling sound coming from the rear brakes only when braking. I took the pads out and they're fine, no grinding of metal and no signs of grinding on the disc either. I thought it might be the spring tensioner between the pads but that seems fine as well.The bike stops fine.
    Is this a common noise during break in? I've never heard anything like this on my Hayes set ups.Hopefully the noise will go away as the pads bed in.
    Thanks for any input.
    Eric S

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I've got Avid Elixir CRs on my '10 gt Sanction 1 and there was a little brake squealing going on the first few rides (not obnoxious or anything) that went away pretty quick after I put maybe 25 miles on or so. Still a hint now and then when riding in the wet. Otherwise they've been working OK.

mtbr member
    I just installed Elixir CRs and I have no noise at all.

mtbr member
    Try realigning your calipers to your rotors this would be my first thought.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Thanks for the feedback guys.
    I did realign the calipers and also swapped the pads with the fronts. Was OK until they bedded in and now same thing. The funny thing is they only make noise when cold, if you brake for a while the noise goes away. As soon as you coast for a while the noise comes back.
    Anybody from Avid want to chime in please??
    Eric S

mtbr member
    You should check out the mega turkey gobble thread in the this forum. You might not have the "garbble", but you could be on the cusp. I know I was.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    mine do the same thing. I have realigned the calipers many times. if I get them just perfect the sound will go away for about 1/2 a ride then comes back. The good thing is once this started the high pitch squeal stopped. Braking power has not faded. This started at about mile 500 on the pads I am now at mile 800.

mtbr member
    sorry to tell you this guys,but from the time i bought my Elixir CR which was last year-Sept-til april i had the same problem.actually the front was making the grinding sound while the rear makes the turkey gabble.i was able to replace the pads but it was still the same.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Same thing happened on my '11 Trek Fuel EX 8, with Elixir 5's. 5 trips to the bike shop later, and I got fed up and swapped for Shimano SLX. Never going back.