mtbr member
    Nov 2006

Avid Elixer Pads (organic / sintered / aluminum back)

I am looking for new pads for my Elixer's and see that there are quite a few options.

Sintered
    Organic
    Organic w Aluminum Back

I was considering the Organic this time around but was not sure of the Al backed version?

Any input would be appreciated.

ps I ride in San Francisco area (pretty good size hills, do not ride in the wet lots..)

Hic-A-Doo-La!
    Go with the organic w/steel back. The alum. is a shade lighter, hence the higher price. The org's break in faster and are quieter than sintered, in my exp.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    The Al backed ones are the same price where I am buying. Any disadvantage to them as opposed to steel backed? If not I guess I would just save the weight.

TNC
    noMAD man
    Yeah, I noticed the aluminum backed versions were about the same price too. I bought a couple of sets for my parts kit but haven't tried them. My OEM sintered pads are working fine. I would have thought the alloy back had something to do with cooling or heat transfer perhaps? Just speculating. Off the top of my head, I'd think the heat from the rotor to the pad material to the backing material and then to the caliper piston would be quicker...or worse...with the aluminum backed pad. But then I think the steel based back would retain heat longer for such a transfer of heat to the piston. So which is better? Honestly I have no idea. Maybe the whole transfer of heat issue as it pertains to backing material is miniscule, and weight truly is the primary goal. Any real metallurgy brake experts know about this?

My other ride is your mom
    IMO....organics get mushy faster on areas where you're on the brake a lot....since the OP is riding the bay area....this may be a concern. I recently tried organics and went back to sintered because the change in feel of the pads from start to finish was large. They seemed to heat up faster and I had to constantly readjust my levers on my Juicy 7's....whereas the sintered did not have this problem.

TNC
    noMAD man
    Quote Originally Posted by Maadjurguer
    IMO....organics get mushy faster on areas where you're on the brake a lot....since the OP is riding the bay area....this may be a concern. I recently tried organics and went back to sintered because the change in feel of the pads from start to finish was large. They seemed to heat up faster and I had to constantly readjust my levers on my Juicy 7's....whereas the sintered did not have this problem.
    Yeah, I agree with this. Severe descents at more than just a few seconds are what sintered pads are good at in my experience. EBC even makes a red version that is even more grippy for DH use, but they wear quite quickly.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    If organic pads will fade a lot faster I will stick w sintered. There are a lot of long descents in the area for sure and I have no fading now at all (when others that I ride with do sometimes.)