BJF
    mtbr member
    Apr 2005

Avid Elixer Pad Replacement

Sorry if this has been answered before. Last night my friend asked me to switch his rear pads on his brakes. I did all the standard stuff, pushed the pistons out , pulled the pads and put the new ones in. Issue I had was there was barely any clearance with the new pads. I barely could touch the lever before full braking engaged. I tried removing the pads, and pushing the pistons out and nothing seemed to help. After screwing with it a bit brake fluid shot out of the throw adjuster barrel. Clearly I screwed something up but I was wondering if someone could explain where I went wrong.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    It kinda sounds like the system was over pressurized with fluid. I have done this on purpose to get closer pad contact. You can do it with the bleed syringies or if you bleed the brakes with the pads in instead of the bleed block. When you were trying to push the pads apart you were being stopped by the extra fluid and when you finally forced it blew out the adjuster barrel seal. If you had known there was extra fluid in before hand you should have lossened one of the bleed ports and allowed the extra fluid to leak out of there. But if you didn't do the last bleed on the brakes you wouldn't have known they were over filled.

That is my guess.

BJF
    mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Makes sense

Farva's #1
    Burp the lever. Done.