Masher

Avid Elixer Issues.

On a recent new bike purchase I opted to swap out the stock brakes (bb5s) for Avid Elixers when it arrived. They gave me a credit for the BB5 mechanicals and, in the interest of giving me my bike quickly that day (specious), they elected not to swap the BB5 rotors out telling me they are essentially the same and they will work fine.

Well the brakes haven't worked quite right since I got them. The rear brake would "pulse" when I applied light pressure like the rotor was moving laterally through the pads and the front brake was vibrating very, very harshly under medium to heavy load.

I dropped the bike off with my list of complaints and I received a phone call this morning telling me they got the brakes working fine but there is still a slight vibration in one of the brakes and that that is normal.

Could any of these problems be attributed to the wrong rotors being used? Is it normal to have brand new brakes behave this way. I have put several hours of riding on them and did my best to break them in in the parking lot outside my house before I went out to the trails.

I don't like to argue with bike shop employees but not having the elixer rotors on there makes me really question the source of my problems.

Please help.

ups and downs
    Tell them to stick the Elxir G3 rotors on the bike, they are lighter and designed to minimize noise. In the time it would have taken them to fiddle with the brakes they could have swapped the rotors and had less issues.

Masher
    Well I just noticed the Juicy MEGATHREAD about the very problem I am having and I just can't believe that SRAM would release a brand new braking system with the exact same problem. What exactly are these engineers doing? That MEGATHREAD started almost a year ago. How can this still be an issue? How are they selling these systems?

The vibration I was getting out of my brakes was completely unbearable such that, if it cannot be fixed, they will have to be replaced. Not to mention that pulse grab I was getting. The vibration might only be annoying if the brakes grab the same but that "pulse" is an obvious deficiency in the braking at that pressure.

Anyways, the shop is going to replace the rotors but they tell me they having nothign to do with my problems. I guess we will see how this goes.

I had Juicy 7s on my last bike and they never did any of this. Sigh.

Meh.
    The G3 rotors are supposed to have solved this issue. Make sure that the pads have not already worn unevenly, or you will continue to have the problem. If the G3 rotors do not work, have the shop replace them with Haves v-cut rotors.

I've said this before, many of the issues regarding vibration and noise are resultant of improper setup, break-in, or usage. There are some component combinations that don't play well together and resonate, but that is usually not the case.