mtbr member
    Aug 2008

avid elixer cr reach adjust jammed

the reach adjust jammed up after a bit of a crash. i think the lever was pulled forward as it hit the ground, brake still works but can only adjust it with an allen key but if i move it from the position its in the lever becomes stiff to pull and locks up.
    does anyone have a fix for this, also tried to take off the lever but i haven't a clue how to get it off so i can have a closer look.
    cheers

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    also the lever looks ok, not bent or anything.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    anybody??
    googled it but cant find anything

mtbr member
    May 2006
    You know. I just had this happen to some juicy 7's. Not in a crash though. try backing out the reach adjuster. that ended up working for me.

Did the reach change after the crash? Not sure why you're adjusting the reach after initial install. Not sure why the allen key would work if the quick adjust dial wouldn't, but haven't looked that closely at mine either since I adjusted the reach.
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    no the reach didn't change, and they work fine, i just like stuff to work as intended even if i dont use it that often, im just a bit worried about them locking up mid ride and going otb

The brake works fine until you change the reach from it's position at the time of the crash? By not working you mean the lever binds/locks up? Or does it affect the caliper as well? Have you reviewed the service manual?
    suum quique

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I had a crash 2 days ago and something like yours happen to my CRs the brake work good but remain close to the bar. When I arrived to the car I checked and saw that one piece which do the reach ajustsment was broken: I requested the kit with the part, you can review the complete lever in the Avid site, "http://www.sram.com/en/service/avid/view.php?catID=1&subcatID=8" and download the "2010 Avid Spare Parts Catalog" I think that the Elixirs are in the page 20. The piece which is broke on kmine is under the kit #5, I went to Beyon Bikes website and order it, also in Universal Cycles they have many. If you want to confirm the part in each kit you can go to "http://www.bti-usa.com/public/manufacturer/AV/BR/?page=3" make click on the kit that you want and you can see the parts inside each.

cheers!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    cheers mate, i have seen that on srams website, dunno anywhere around here i could get one from, (i live in uk), if anyone knows a sram stockist over hear that does em that would be great.
    also just wondering how you changed it, is it just a case of unscrewing the allen bolt all the way out.
    cheers

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    just had a look on that bti usa, they have the kit there, i think the allen bolt bent when it hit the deck so it wont turn, if i could get one of them that would be cool.

Quote Originally Posted by leonrod
    just had a look on that bti usa, they have the kit there, i think the allen bolt bent when it hit the deck so it wont turn, if i could get one of them that would be cool.
    That your bolt bent over and above other damage doesn't sound too likely to me but you have the gear in hand...
    suum quique

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Hi Leonrod:

Mine was broke and bent too. Normally it broke in the place where the small screw is in the allen bolt, if yo unscrew it and can't come out, just take a good pliers and pull it, I had to do it too. I recommend you to remove the small screw in the disc of the reach adjustment, in case to avoid damage any other part or give you more clearance if you remove the spring and remaining parts. check this page and the UK dealers, some should be able to request a kit "http://www.sram.com/en/locator/dlocator.php" ask for the kit part number 11.5015.026.000 that's the kit you need.

cheers

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikinfoolferlife
    That your bolt bent over and above other damage doesn't sound too likely to me but you have the gear in hand...
    that's happen to me too, even the piston rod went out of place, but I placed in again and work, the issue is the reach of the lever, like this feature doesn't work because the screw, the lever remain close to the bar, but still braking.

cheers