mtbr member

Avid Elixer 5 rear pads toast

So I've gone through my OEM rear pads now at about 40 hours and need to replace them. In shopping around I see several brands- Avid, Ebc(maybe?), Jagwire and Koolstop.
    Prices are all close except that the Avid's are 50-100% more expensive than the others, and freaking expensive for the amout of material there!!

I'm not downhilling, ride XC mostly with some technical bits, but admit to being a brake-dragger the rear in the faster curvy stuff a bit
    Suggested pads? Is the aftermarket as quality stuff as OEM?

Thx

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    Always get OEM. Why risk voiding your warranty?
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    My experience is the aftermarket and the OEM pads for Avid are practically the same.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Noclutch
    So I've gone through my OEM rear pads now at about 40 hours and need to replace them. In shopping around I see several brands- Avid, Ebc(maybe?), Jagwire and Koolstop.
    Prices are all close except that the Avid's are 50-100% more expensive than the others, and freaking expensive for the amout of material there!!

I'm not downhilling, ride XC mostly with some technical bits, but admit to being a brake-dragger the rear in the faster curvy stuff a bit
    Suggested pads? Is the aftermarket as quality stuff as OEM?

Thx
    OEM does not mean they work the best. I have found the Avid branded pads to be inconsistent quality in the past.

EBC pads have been very good for me, but I do not know which compound is best for your model brake.

Using aftermarket pads will not void the warranty.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Rub it............
    If you are using the standard metallic Avid pads, then the organics will last 1/2 as long.

At least stick with the metallics since you are a brake dragger. I've had good luck with the Avid branded stuff, but like Shiggy said,can be inconsistent.

Here are a few manufacturers.

EBC
    Avid
    Goodridge
    Jagwire