mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Avid Disks on 04 Stumpjumper

First off please forgive my ignorance.

I have an 04 Stumpjumper FSR Comp with the Avid V brakes on it. I am looking at getting a set of Avid disk brakes. What do I have to do to change out for them to work? Also what size would be best, 160mm, 185mm 203mm? I am 200 lbs.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Easy...

Quote Originally Posted by 03Epic
    First off please forgive my ignorance.

I have an 04 Stumpjumper FSR Comp with the Avid V brakes on it. I am looking at getting a set of Avid disk brakes. What do I have to do to change out for them to work? Also what size would be best, 160mm, 185mm 203mm? I am 200 lbs.

Thanks
    The conversion to discs just requires removal of the v-brakes and cables/housing (you need longer cables to reach the disc calipers) and installation of the disc calipers/rotors. The expensive part will be if your hubs are not disc compatible...then you either need to build new hubs onto your existing rims or get a whole new wheelset and sell the current one.

I weigh near 200 lbs, and I ride aggressively on a mix of trails. The 6 inch Avids have plenty of stopping power for me, even in the wet weather of Vancouver and area.

If you get the Avids, I'd highly recommend installing them yourself. First, they're dead easy. Second, I've seen shops screw them up in several ways simply by not bothering to follow or even LOOK AT the enclosed idiot proof instructions (apologies here to the many competent shop guys reading this). Third, by installing them, you understand them and can easily adjust them if/when needed.

As opposed to your v-brakes, pad wear is adjusted for at the PAD by a dial on the disc caliper, not at the lever. The barrel adjuster at the lever is meant only to take any existing slack out of the cable.

I know from reading that a lot of guys run specialty housings with these. The concern is that of too much power loss by housing compression, especially with a full length rear housing. My experience has been that standard Jagwire housing and cable works fine.

Front and rear Avids should run $138 total. All the major mail order places will either advertise or match that price.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Philip,

How do I know if my hubs are disk compatible or not?
    Also what size of the Avids should I get, I see there are different sizes

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by 03Epic
    Philip,

How do I know if my hubs are disk compatible or not?
    Also what size of the Avids should I get, I see there are different sizes
    Your hubs are disc compatible if, on their non-drive sides, they have a circle of six mounting holes for the disc rotor.

The Avid 6 inch (160 mm) rotor is, in my opinion, likely to suffice. I've never ridden 183 or 205 mm rotors, so I can't tell you offhand whether the extra stopping power is worth the extra weight and the extra fragility (I'm sure the bigger the rotor the more easily it is bent).

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    So it look like my hubs are not disk compatible, what would be my best bet in replacing them with.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

My own opinion...

Cambria Bike has made me good wheels in the past. Ask them if they have any left over Mavic 317 rims (now discontinued, excellent cross country rim) and their best deal on XT disc hubs. Let them know you're as happy with older XT discs as this year's model, as there is only a trivial weight difference. Lace them with 14/15 double butted spokes, brass nipples for durability, and you're off. The total should be around $200.

If you are a big downhiller type and you break wheels, get the Mavic 519 rim instead...it's a little heavier, wider and tougher.

There are often great deals going for Deore disc hubs and Sun Rhyno Lite rims, but the rim is quite a bit heavier and pedals less well.

Cambria will, for sure, sell you the brakes for $69 each just for asking

Phil

mtbr member
    Ive got an avid mechanical disc w/rotor, full length housing, adatper and a superlight formula disc hub laced to a mavic 317 w/15g spokes

all for 150

if your interested Ill shoot ya some pics

wayneosdias@hotmail.com
    wayne
    89 Univega HT -???-
    92 Specd SJ HT M2 -stolen-
    92 Specd SJ HT M2 -sold-
    94 Specd SJ HT M2 -sold-
    97 Klien Mantra -sold-
    01 Specd enduro FSR
    02 Specd enduro FSR -sold-
    04 Specd stumpjumper FSR
    05 Specd enduro FSR Sworks

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    What about the Mavic Crossland, I can either get them thru Performance and use the dicount coupon (would put them at 200$ plus shipping) or can use a 15% coupon from LBS and get them fro 195$ plus tax???????

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Ask others, but I'd be leery...

...of a 24 spoke pattern (32 is stronger) and a 2 cross pattern (3 cross is standard...) for durability and for rigidity.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    All '04 SJ FSRs supposedly come with disk hubs

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bsaunder
    All '04 SJ FSRs supposedly come with disk hubs

The 04 SJ FSR Comp is a special edition and it does not come with them.