Your bike sucks

Avid Disk pad rattle - can it be fixed?

I have an older (165) Avid disk brake that is driving me crazy. The pads rattle and the noise is getting to me. I don't think they were this bad before. Anyway -> I know the newer ones don't have this problem and I can't remember if changing to new pad (better magnet?) will help correct this. My pads have plenty of wear left but I'd be willing to sacrafice them inorder to have some peace and quiet.

I don't frequent this forum much so if i asked a common question just gently put me in my place.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Carl Mega
    I have an older (165) Avid disk brake that is driving me crazy. The pads rattle and the noise is getting to me. I don't think they were this bad before. Anyway -> I know the newer ones don't have this problem and I can't remember if changing to new pad (better magnet?) will help correct this. My pads have plenty of wear left but I'd be willing to sacrafice them inorder to have some peace and quiet.

I don't frequent this forum much so if i asked a common question just gently put me in my place.
    The older V1 calipers had a problem w/ the magnets breaking and coming apart over time. Magnets are no longer availiable according to Avid. Avid sells clips but I think it is in a 10 pack. I'd just buy pads w/ clips and run the new and old set on the same clips. Some pads have material that is too wide for the clips but I have found a little trimming w/ a file sovles this problem.

Do It Yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by Carl Mega

I had the same issue with mine. A new set of pads with clips solved the problem. If you contact Avid, I'm sure they will send you a clip for free. As keen mentioned, you will have to do a bit of filing to get the clip to work with your old style pads. It will save you 25 bucks for new pads though.

mtbr member
    Aug 2003

Get some new pads

Quote Originally Posted by Homebrew
    I had the same issue with mine. A new set of pads with clips solved the problem. If you contact Avid, I'm sure they will send you a clip for free. As keen mentioned, you will have to do a bit of filing to get the clip to work with your old style pads. It will save you 25 bucks for new pads though.
    Make sure you get Avid brand pads.I have had no luck with the aftermarket ones,its worth paying a little more to avoid the headache.Pick out the old broken magnets with a small screwdriver or similiar small sharp device.Then snap in the new pads,readjust the caliper and go ride!!