mtbr member

AVID disc replacement recommendations?

I've got stock avid discs that came with my X0 brakes, they are complete **** and warp out of shape, the rear rotor has worked perfect but the front is always touching the pads somewhere no matter how well I place them.

Looking for a strong replacement that will works well with avid brakes(XO) 180 front 160 rear, thanks
    Pivot mach 6!

Huckin' trails
    Quote Originally Posted by Joel RW View Post
    I've got stock avid discs that came with my X0 brakes, they are complete **** and warp out of shape, the rear rotor has worked perfect but the front is always touching the pads somewhere no matter how well I place them.

Looking for a strong replacement that will works well with avid brakes(XO) 180 front 160 rear, thanks
    Well I had very good luck with old style Hayes V rotors, see picture.

I find them to perform better than the G2. I guess you have the HS rotors ?

Which axle do you have up front ?
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

Huckin' trails
    203mm Hayes V8 rotor.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails AVID disc replacement recommendations?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1331524736.606257.jpg  

topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    the only problem is that Sram are 180 and everyone else is 185mm. I think there are a few rotors that will work with Sram's stock setup, but I've always changed out the adaptor to another brands 180 so the pads hit the rotors braking surface properly. you do have to cut off the pad's pull tab as there is no knock out in others adaptors to allow the tab.

Honestly all rotors warp over time, and the bigger you go the more it can. I just went back t o160's as there wasn't all that much a diff with the 180's, but I ride fairly slow and mostly XC stuff, higher speeds or steeper down hills I'm sure will show more.

Have you straightened them? Sometimes it holds, sometimes it doesn't
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by thomllama View Post
    the only problem is that Sram are 180 and everyone else is 185mm.
    actually sram switched from 185 to 180 which is now the same as everything else.
    but sram went from 203 to 200 whcih is now different from everybody else in that size.

i put a 203 shimano icetech rotor on the back of my 2012 enduro with avid elixir 7's and its working great so far. i am going to be putting one on the front by the end of the week.
    Juice

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by thomllama View Post
    the only problem is that Sram are 180 and everyone else is 185mm. I think there are a few rotors that will work with Sram's stock setup, but I've always changed out the adaptor to another brands 180 so the pads hit the rotors braking surface properly. you do have to cut off the pad's pull tab as there is no knock out in others adaptors to allow the tab.

Honestly all rotors warp over time, and the bigger you go the more it can. I just went back t o160's as there wasn't all that much a diff with the 180's, but I ride fairly slow and mostly XC stuff, higher speeds or steeper down hills I'm sure will show more.

Have you straightened them? Sometimes it holds, sometimes it doesn't
    They are only 7 weeks old or so, I wouldn't expect a rotor to wear n tear in that time, and I'm not sure if straightening them would even be possible? They have the slightest wobble I imagine it would just bend back into place as soon as you take off the pressure.

Thanks for the info though folks

edit: and it's a rockshox 20mm maxle thing
    Last edited by Joel RW; 03-12-2012 at 03:46 AM.
    Pivot mach 6!

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    They are only 7 weeks old or so, I wouldn't expect a rotor to wear n tear in that time, and I'm not sure if straitening them would even be possible? they have the slightest wobble I imagine it would just bend back into place as soon as you take off the pressure.

no, you can actually true rotors... I do it all the time. there is a "touch" to it as the steel is kinda springy, you need to just slightly over flex it in what ever direction so when you release it it only goes back so far. Takes a little getting used to but it's really not hard. The biggest issue is finding the actual spot to flex. there are tools for it, but if you wear rubber gloves (you don't want to get oil from your skin on the rotor) and grab it down as close to the hub as you can and just give it tweeks you'll be surprised at how straight you can get it. it's really easy if you take it right off the hub and use a super flat surface.. you can see the highs and lows very easy. Alo when installing make sure the hub surface is perfectly clean. I have seen people install them with crap inbetween the hub and the rotor, the tiny little bumps get amplified when it twists the rotor out to the edge.
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I recommend this....

I could remove my rear brakes lever, caliper, seatpost and seat and use my ass to stop the bike and in doing so save nearly 2 pound!
    Or since it's the front you're having problems with you could just remove it and use your big mouth to slow you down.

Huckin' trails
    They are only 7 weeks old or so, I wouldn't expect a rotor to wear n tear in that time, and I'm not sure if straightening them would even be possible? They have the slightest wobble I imagine it would just bend back into place as soon as you take off the pressure.

edit: and it's a rockshox 20mm maxle thing
    Honestly you should not be having problem with a 20mm axle...