mtbr member

Avid disc maintenance

I have had my avid mech. disc for about a year now. One of my red knobbies (thing a ma jig) that adjusts the brake pads is really sticking. I have tried to take the brake apart and clean it as well as I could. This was mostly a haphazard endeavor though.

I took out the pads, was able to take out the cylinder which centers and pushes the pad, and took out, through turning the red knobby, the threaded cylinder behind the cylinder! (Sorry for the poor description- I have no idea what those parts are called). I cleaned everything as well as I could and put the whole thing back together with a little bit of lube (making sure not to get any on the pads).

Yet it is still sticking and very difficult to turn. I would appreciate any suggestions on how to fix the problem…Thnx.

mtbr member

I had that

One of mine did the same. And of course, it was on the wheel side, so I couldn't get a good grip on it with the wheel on.

I took mine and (remove the pad first!) shot the adjustment screw threads with some WD40, and just spun it from all the way open to all the way closed a bunch of times, shooting more WD 40 at it.

That seemed to solve the problem.