mtbr member
    Nov 2010

Avid comparison to shimano

I'm looking at 2 bikes. One with shimano M446 brakes and the other with avid elixir 3 's. Wondering what the shimano's are compared to level wise to avid. Since I know the different levels of avid

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    They're at about the same level, both of them are 2nd from the bottom in the product lineups. However, I'd take the M446 brakes over the Elixir 3 any day of the week, Shimano's brakes just work far better than Avids throughout the entire product line.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I like Shimano stuff myself

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    My girlfried has shimano M446 (or very similar) on her bike. We did alpine descents recently, more than 1000m at a time. Zero troubles, even less than my XT's. But the XTs are way more powerful.

Dont get me started about avids, just stay away from them. I had juicy 7, Elixir R, Elixir 9 - none of which ever really worked well.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    My girlfriend's bike also has the Shimano M446, and I have Avid Elixer 3's. Long story short, I just (30 minutes ago) ordered Shimano SLX after fighting with the Avid's for 6 months. The Avid's work, but only barely, and they are not consistent. I finally got tired of them. The Shimano's work quite well when they are adjusted properly, and are consistent. But I think neither brakeset is a make-it or break-it issue. But if everything else were equal, the Shimano's are better.

Just Ride.
    I am using Avid Trail 7s now and they have awesome power and modulation. Problem is getting avids set up if it's even possible. I'd take the Shimano for ease of use.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Avids have their advantages when your life is on the line in bear country.

mtbr member
    Avids are across the board some of the worst brakes you can get today (BB7 being the only exception), Shimano are some of the best. If I had a choice between M446 and X0, XX or literally anything else Avid, I'd go with the shimano; Avid doesn't make anything as good as shimano's lowest-level hydraulic.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I'm sold. Gonna get the bike with shimano brakes. Any good discount sites to buy upgrade shimano brake. ?