Double-metric mtb man

Avid Codes vs Hope M4's

Anyone have opinions between these two or has used/tried both?

I'm trying to get an idea of kit for when I pull the trigger and build my next bike. I'd like to go to a four piston design because I'm a Clyde and can make use of the additional power.

One of the local wrenches just got himself a set of Codes and is raving about them...little heavy, but power by the bushel (esp. with Goodridge lines...but he also prefers DH so he likes having that much power). Same guy also indicates that Hopes can be a pain to set up and work on.

Just wondering if anyone can confirm / deny the info on the Hopes and compare the power / feel etc. between the M4's and Codes.

Thanks a bunch.
    As if four times wasn't enough-> Psycho Mike's 2013 Ride to Conquer Cancer Page

Moran? Let your opinion be free -> F88me

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    The new Hopes look amazing and the Codes are fugly, but the Codes are going to be a LOT more powerful. It really depends on the weight of you, your bike and what sort of riding you'll be doing. The Codes will also be a fair bit heavier.
    You can't make a racehorse out of a donkey, but you can make a fast donkey.

cgd
    mtbr member
    all hope are postmount now so are "easyier" to set up.

bit of an unfair comparison, the hope v2 is on the same power level as the codes.

Neg reppers r my biatches
    Jan 2004
    Codes are more manly for sure based on what i hear from people who would definitely know. whether or not you need the extra manliness is another question. i am fond of Hope brakes myself and run them on my bikes and like em, but nowadays, all disc brakes work pretty well.

Double-metric mtb man
    Haven't heard much about the V2's...I guess I'll have to look into them.

The Codes are heavy...powerful, but heavy...and that is the one concern I have with them as I don't care as much about asthetics as long as things work. I've got a lot of up and down hill to deal with as the only local place that shuttles is a ski hill...everything else you have to ride up.
    As if four times wasn't enough-> Psycho Mike's 2013 Ride to Conquer Cancer Page

Moran? Let your opinion be free -> F88me

Meh.
    A lot of weight is in the levers. After all, there are 3 cartridge bearings... The feel is pretty incredible. The Ultimate levers save what? 1/3 pound?