Thread: Avid Code Issue

mtbr member

Avid Code Issue

I have Avid Codes on my Turner Highline. Older codes btw. I changed pads this morning (rear caliper) - spread the old pads with a flathead screwdriver (they were not worth saving) and replaced with new pads. When I reinstalled the rear wheel, I had zero lever. In fact, it feels like there's no engagement with the piston whatsoever. Lever just flops around loose.

I bled the system back in early september. Any possibility it just needs bled again?

Any ideas appreciated, thanks.

T.W.O.
    First off, check if your rear wheel is fully install. It happened to me a few times when installing rear on the stand. It took a few pumps to take the lever pressure up. Hope your problem is just as simple as mine

mtbr member
    Yep, installed.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    if the lever just flops, then the o-rings of the master cylinder are toast, and should be replaced (avid sells only the entire master cylinder assembly, though).

mtbr member
    Solved the problem using a tip from this thread:

Avid Code lever piston stuck

The piston was stuck. Sounds like some plastic part on the piston swells after time? I removed the hose from the lever, pushed the piston back into place with an allen wrench, bled the system & that fixed the problem.

I think it stuck down in the first place because, having just spread the pistons as far as possible to replace the pads, I pushed the piston deeper than usual causing the swelled plastic thingy to catch on something.

Thanks to folks who responded with advice.

Members who have read this thread: 0