mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Avid Code or Hayes Stroker Trail

I'm putting together a 5" Trance for general trail and occasional "spirited" downhill sections and considering either the Avid code or Hayes Stroker Trail. I have Hayes 9's which have worked well but thought I might like one of these better. Any advice?
    Last edited by kinetixphoto; 05-01-2009 at 08:54 AM.

ride hard take risks
    If you like the HFX9 then either one will be like heaven. Personally I like the feel and feed back of the Stroker brakes. My opinion of course is go with what has worked for you, Hayes Stroker.
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I am running Code's on my 08 Reign, truly awesome brake, once dialed in never had to touch them except for new pads. Gobs of power, awesome feel.

Another option would be the Elixir, power in between the Juicy and Code, would possibly suit a Trance a little better.

Have not had any experience with the Strokers, but have heard they have a really nice lever feel as well.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I did a test-ride on a Giant Trance X2 with Hayes Stroker Trail brakes... and hated them. Maybe the Giant guys don't know how to setup brakes? The brakes on my test bike and my buddy's test bike made tons of noise! Warbling, yowling, screeching; the amount of racket was a bit annoying. And modulation was a bit poor in comparison to other hydros I've tried (Juicy 5, Juicy 7, Juicy Ultimate, Magura Marta), though stopping power was good. Maybe they're better with a different brake pad?

squish is good
    Elixers...

I had Strokers. I'm so over them now.
    Bike good, work bad.

ride hard take risks
    Quote Originally Posted by sstorkel
    I did a test-ride on a Giant Trance X2 with Hayes Stroker Trail brakes... and hated them. Maybe the Giant guys don't know how to setup brakes? The brakes on my test bike and my buddy's test bike made tons of noise! Warbling, yowling, screeching; the amount of racket was a bit annoying. And modulation was a bit poor in comparison to other hydros I've tried (Juicy 5, Juicy 7, Juicy Ultimate, Magura Marta), though stopping power was good. Maybe they're better with a different brake pad?
    I would say your Giant dealer didnt set them up properly. It takes less time to slap a bike together out of the box than it does to set it up.
    Formotion Products

Meh.
    The Code is a great brake and the lever is awesome. But they are heavy, and they'll probably be overkill on a trail bike (unless you're a big guy or you just drag the brakes everywhere).

Check out the Elixirs. Lots of power, fantastic modulation, pretty decent weight.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by dogonfr
    I would say your Giant dealer didnt set them up properly. It takes less time to slap a bike together out of the box than it does to set it up.
    Probably. I took my test ride at the Sea Otter Classic, so the bikes were setup by Giant USA. You'd think they'd put in the effort to get the things working right, but who knows?

mtbr member
    I second that go with the elixirs. I had the strokers on my mojo for about two weeks before I couldn't stand them any more. The elixirs are more powerful and have better modulation. I also had horrible noise with the strokers and the rotors bent easily. I did like the lever on the strokers but not enough to keep them. The avids have been working flawlessly and quietly. Go with the elixirs!

ride hard take risks
    Quote Originally Posted by sstorkel
    Probably. I took my test ride at the Sea Otter Classic, so the bikes were setup by Giant USA. You'd think they'd put in the effort to get the things working right, but who knows?
    Who knows, great words. I am being honest on my comment because yours is real.

Giant really couldnt care less if bikes are set up properly. I should be fair on this comment, mas manufactures dont care or pay enough to care how components are set up on their brand. It's a number game and they win no mater what.
    Formotion Products

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    My opinion on the Stroker trails is that if they come on your bike, they're worth keeping, but I would never buy them aftermarket, personally. Hayes pricing is out of touch, at least in Canada.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Code's are realllllly heavy for a trail bike. i would second the elixir vote. and you can get the r model for stupid cheap right now
    64,999,987 firearms owners killed no one yesterday.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SJensen
    Code's are realllllly heavy for a trail bike. i would second the elixir vote. and you can get the r model for stupid cheap right now
    Whats cheap? Whats the difference between those and the others? I'm kinda tempted to try em out!

squish is good
    I got my Elixer R's front and rear w/ 203mm rotors for $180 off of ebay, brand new in the box by the way. $90 an end for hydro brakes this good and big discs is stupid cheap, run a search, you could find them for cheaper with a smaller rotor.
    Bike good, work bad.

mtbr member
    Cheapest I could find with ship was about $200

So do they have good feel like the Strokers? Or are they touchy and grabby like the Juicy's?

squish is good
    $200 is about what I paid including shipping. They feel similar to the Strokers just with less screeching and excellent modulation. My Stroker Rydes weren't bad brakes, they were just extremely noisy and it was annoying enough to warrant buying a different brand. Elixers have been awesome so far.
    Bike good, work bad.

Anti-Outsourcer
    Jan 2007
    I've done a good bit of riding with both the Codes and Elixer R's. I like both, and either would be a great brake, but I'm a Code man. They feel very solid at the lever. You can really grab a handful of brake when things get nasty, and the complete lack of flex is very confidence inspiring. That's not to say the Elixers are flimsy, because they aren't. They just have a progressive feeling to them that seems "bottomless" and never feels like you're fully slamming the brakes.

ride hard take risks
    Quote Originally Posted by FullMonty
    Hayes pricing is out of touch, at least in Canada.
    Sounds like ya need to move.

http://www.spadout.com/c/hydraulic-disc-brake-system/
    Formotion Products

mtbr member
    I have Stroker Trails on my 2009 Trance X2 and have finally given up on them. They are noisy, the rear rotor seems to get out of wack after every few rides, I cant get the pistons to operate consistently (one always seems to be hanging up) and in 4 months I have had to re-lubircate the lever piston 3 times because of slow lever return. After I get them dialed they work great but brakes should not have to be tinkered with every 1 or 2 rides. I had XT's on my last bike and never had any of these issues but did not like the lack of power. Thinking of Elixir's but sick about spending the money.

The one thing positive I will say is that the Hayes customer service has been awesome. The guys are always willing to spend the time to explain how to correct problems and they even sent me a kit to service the levers for the slow return and new pads to try to fix the noise.
    Last edited by Rich H.; 05-11-2009 at 06:58 AM.

mtbr member
    I've had my stroker trails for over a year with 1200 miles on them and they still work awesome, never have really messed with them except initially to get them setup. I really like the progressive feel as well. I'm not really a brake "dragger" though or at least try not to be. People with warped rotors, glazed over pads, and burnt fluid probably need to stop relying on the brakes so much As well if you have teeny lil girl forearms you probably won't like these brakes either. They stop on a dime but you actually have to squeeze the lever. People who go slow and like instant grab aka lock up tire brakes should probably stick with the Avids lol (contemplating ordering the new elixers )
    Last edited by Yody; 05-10-2009 at 09:49 PM.

ride hard take risks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich H.
    The one thing positive I will say is that the Hayes customer service has been awesome. The guys are always willing to spend the time to explain how to correct problems and they even sent me a kit to service the levers for the slow return and new pads to try to fix the noise but sadly, the fact that they are so good at trouble shooting is evidence that these problems must be pretty common.
    Every product has a flaw the reason Hayes CS can answer questions properly is because they are willing to help the customer. Many companies will lead you on to believe this is the first they have heard about a problem and lead you on a wild goose chase. I would much rather deal with a company that is straight up rather then one that holds a carrot in front of you.
    Formotion Products

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Yody
    I've had my stroker trails for over a year with 1200 miles on them and they still work awesome, never have really messed with them except initially to get them setup. I really like the progressive feel as well. I'm not really a brake "dragger" though or at least try not to be. People with warped rotors, glazed over pads, and burnt fluid probably need to stop relying on the brakes so much As well if you have teeny lil girl forearms you probably won't like these brakes either. They stop on a dime but you actually have to squeeze the lever. People who go slow and like instant grab aka lock up tire brakes should probably stick with the Avids lol (contemplating ordering the new elixers )
    For what it is worth, I have about 700 miles on my Trance and the original pads are about 50% so I would not consider myself a brake "dragger." Guys like you always crack me up when you try to make a thinly veiled bash without an ounce of knowledge of who you are talking to, their riding style, location, height, weight, skill level, etc (all factors in brake performance).

As I said in my post I ran Shimano brakes for years without a single mechanical so clearly it is not a problem with how I am using the brakes. As I also said, I really like the Hayes brakes when they are working. Maybe I just got a bad set.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dogonfr
    Every product has a flaw the reason Hayes CS can answer questions properly is because they are willing to help the customer. Many companies will lead you on to believe this is the first they have heard about a problem and lead you on a wild goose chase. I would much rather deal with a company that is straight up rather then one that holds a carrot in front of you.
    Good point & post edited accordingly.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich H.
    For what it is worth, I have about 700 miles on my Trance and the original pads are about 50% so I would not consider myself a brake "dragger." Guys like you always criack me up when you try to make a thinly veiled bash without an ounce of knowledge of who you are talking to, their riding style, location, height, weight, skill level, etc (all factors in brake performance).

As I said in my post I ran Shimano brakes for years without a single mechanical so clearly it is not a problem with how I am using the brakes. As I also said, I really like the Hayes brakes when they are working. Maybe I just got a bad set.
    i crack myself up too lol