mtbr member
    Jun 2010

Avid Code brakes. Any good on a freeride bike?

The Code is the stock brake on the Kona Entourage. I just got the bike and I think I burned through the pads in one weekend of hard riding. Change the pads or upgrade? I know the cheaper route is change the pads but is it common to burn through pads that quick? Recommendations on better pads?

mtbr member
    I guess it depends on how much you were on the brakes....hard riding for everyone is different.

I would try new pads first, to see if that helps. Certainly will be cheaper if this is the case. I would try Brake Authority pads. I rate them highly.

Otherwise, upgrade. Hope Tech V2s should be relatively cheap soon, as Hope are fazing them out for the new V4. They would be a killer brake. Or try the new Shimano Zee. Or Saint if you have the money and want the bling factor.

El Pollo Diablo
    Brake less!
    I have a set of codes from my last hardtail, had zero problems.
    Only reason I'm not running them now is that the Elixers that came on my new bike are doin fine for me.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shawnp View Post
    The Code is the stock brake on the Kona Entourage. I just got the bike and I think I burned through the pads in one weekend of hard riding. Change the pads or upgrade? I know the cheaper route is change the pads but is it common to burn through pads that quick? Recommendations on better pads?
    It's difficult to burn through fresh pads in few days of riding in dry conditions.
    It can be done though.
    Are the pads worn down to the backing plate?
    Codes are good brakes, just change the pads if you went through them quickly, and then work on improving brake technique.
    I've got 40+ park days on my Codes this year-I'm on my 3rd rear pads and 2nd front pads and I'm running organic compound.
    Each day in the park is roughly 10k+ feet of descending, but I'm not on the brakes too much.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Yup....Codes are good brakes, you shouldn't have to 'upgrade' - there's nothing necessarily 'better' to upgrade to on an Entourage used for freeriding. The Codes are matched well to the bike for the intended purpose. Any other brake brand or model is more a matter of preference at this point. Try new pads. I know nothing aout your skill level, so I certainly don't want to say anything to insult you ability, which may be outstanding.... But, just for the mention, in case you are new to freeriding, learning and practicing proper braking technique will not only improve your speed, performance, flow, stability, etc..... It will most likely add considerably to your pad life.

I've got Codes on my new Scapegoat - great for Freeride/DH. On some tamer freeride and singletrack, I find the 4 piston calipers to be too much brake - they can stop a truck!
    "If it ain't broke, don't fix it - it'll be broke soon enough !" - ILOJ