mtbr member

Avid brakes not releasing.....need feedback

Hello. I own a Specialized M4 Stumpjumper with all stock parts......and just recently the back brakes have stop releasing after applying the brakes causing the brake pad to rub on the left side. Now I tried to loosen the screw which controls the spring and amount of pressure against the brake housing but have not been able to stop the brake pad from rubbing? When I squeeze the front brakes the brakes release evenly on both sides, yet the back brakes only release to the right side? Is this a common problem with AVid V brakes? Any suggestions?
    Thanks

If you've tried the full range of the spring adjustment screws you might try bending the spring with your hand to increase tension...but you might also make sure that the caliper is moving freely on the pivot first and doesn't just need some cleaning/lube.
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

Meh.
    Are you turning the screw the right way? If you want the left side to stop rubbing, you turn that screw IN (clockwise) to add more tension to that arm. This allows that arm to pull further away. Check to make sure there is not excessive toe on that pad. If that does not do it, you may need to check and make sure the brake can move freely on the post and the spring is not broken.

The frame often has several holes for the spring to fit into. You may need to move the spring post into a hole to provide higher tension.

mtbr member
    Thanks I'll check out both of your suggestions and see if the issue is resolved.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    As you increase tension on one side, release tension on the other side. This makes it easier to balance out without using all of the adjustment range.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I've got a similar problem. I just did a complete overhaul on my wife's bike, and when reinstalling Avid V-brakes on the fork, I find I can't get any tension from the spring (to pull it away from the rim). I thought maybe I got front and rear mixed up, but swapping doesn't seem to make a difference. There's only one tension hole on the fork for the spring to sit in, unlike the seatstays where there are three per side.

Any ideas? I'm puzzled at what the heck I got mixed up...

thanks!
    dave

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Ah, I decided to just bend the springs out a little bit and that solved the problem. Weird, that I didn't notice the springs not having enough pull before I R&R'd them...