mtbr member
    Sep 2004

New question here. Avid brake & Shimano hub- shims req'd?

I am mounting an Avid 160mm BB disc to a Shimano M756 XT hub and my problem is that caliper does not align with the rotor.

The Avid instructions mention that shims are required for some hubs- my questions are:
    is it better to add shims to the caliper mount or to the rotor mount? and are there any special shims out there for this or can I get them from a hardware store?
    thanks

Are you talking to me?

Caliper for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by cliveponty
    I am mounting an Avid 160mm BB disc to a Shimano M756 XT hub and my problem is that caliper does not align with the rotor.

The Avid instructions mention that shims are required for some hubs- my questions are:
    is it better to add shims to the caliper mount or to the rotor mount? and are there any special shims out there for this or can I get them from a hardware store?
    thanks
    Any VERY thin washers will do the job. The disc specific shims are very thin, and uniform. The thin washers allow you to adjust the position very slightly. Use them on the caliper mount, not on the rotor.
    gfy

ballbuster

I had the same rig...

... and it did not require shims. Must be the fork mounts. Shims between the caliper mounting bracket and fork will help, but there is a lot of room for adjustment on the caliper already. I have a hard time believing it is that far off. Your CPS bolts are loose when you try this, right?

mtbr member
    Sep 2004

problem solved with a couple of washers

thanks for the responses- I used a couple of washers on the caliper and it worked.
    I tried mouning the caliper with the CPS bolts real loose and there was no way it line up. I think the frame mounts are the problem- I'm installling the brake onto a rear of a 2000 Marin Mount vision!