mtbr member
    Jul 2009

Avid brake Question

I am running a set of BB7's on my hardtail right now and the sizes of the brackets are bascially 160, 185, and 203mm. For the post mount for my Fox fork I only have 185 or 203 to choose from. 203 is entirely too big and with 185mm I can really only run avid rotors since its 185mm so it doesnt give me much choice. Is there anyway I can run a 180mm rotor on the 185mm avid bracket by taking out spacers on the hardware or something? I would just try to use a 180mm bracket but I was told only avid brackets will work.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    The Avid CPS conical washer stack allows you to adjust the caliper slot dead parallel to the rotor, however, if the fork disc mounts are perfectly square, then you can fit the caliper without the washers.

Just remember to use a smaller rotor and shorter bolts. If the rotor is slightly too big, when set up this way, then just add a couple of flat washers until the caliper just clears the rotor.

Btw, other adapter brackets are compatible with the Avid caliper, but just not all.

Rub it............
    I'm using Shimano 180mm brackets with my Avid brakes. No issue at all.