mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Avid brake lever question

2 questions
    I'm considering replacing my V-brakes with Avid BB7 brakes and discs.

1)My question is this: If I have Shimano ST-EF29 levers stock on my bike, and buy new standard brake cables and cable-housing, will I need to get different levers?
    Some sites specify a difference between mechanical disc and v-brake levers but I didn't think there's a difference since they both should use the same basic cable system.

2)If the cable-housing comes in 60" sections and have metal tips at both ends, can the housing still be cut to size?

mtbr member
    Jul 2003
    "1)My question is this: If I have Shimano ST-EF29 levers stock on my bike, and buy new standard brake cables and cable-housing, will I need to get different levers?
    Some sites specify a difference between mechanical disc and v-brake levers but I didn't think there's a difference since they both should use the same basic cable system."

Yes, Avid mechanical disc brakes (as well as other mechanicals) are compatable with any V-brake lever. A bit better performance and added adjustability can be had with an Avid SD7 lever. But the BB7 will perform well with your current brake levers.

"2)If the cable-housing comes in 60" sections and have metal tips at both ends, can the housing still be cut to size?"

Yes, but you'll need to pick up some additional ferrules (the metal ends) to cap off the ends that you cut if they are not included.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"