Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Mar 2011

Avid brake bleed kit hoses - clouded?

Strange problem I'm having. I recently picked up a new Avid Professional Bleed Kit. I used it once to bleed my front and rear brakes, and when I was done, rinsed all the bleed kit parts with water and dish soap. Then the hoses completely clouded up. Not just cloudy, but completely opaque. I thought at first that it was just condensation in the hoses, but left it to sit for a week with no change. Tried flushing with rubbing alcohol - no change. Blew compressed air through the hoses - no change.

Has anyone else had this problem? Any idea of the cause? It basically makes the kit unusable since I can't really tell if there are any bubbles left in the line or even where the fluid level is. I called SRAM and talked to tech support. The guy had never heard of this problem (although I am not confident he completely understood what I was trying to describe) and had no solution or recommendation other than "take it into your LBS."

Here are a few pics so you can see what I am talking about.

Here I have removed one end of the hose from the hose barb - under which the hose is still clear.

Here I have stuck a small screwdriver in to show that is it is not just hazy, but totally opaque.

This kit was not cheap and as I mentioned, this happened after the first time I used it. I was thinking maybe the hose section is replaceable, but the opposite end of the hose (the end that screws into the bleed port) is not removeable from the fitting.

Anyone have a similiar experience?
    Last edited by Burning Matches; 09-28-2011 at 06:37 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Nope. Buy some vinyl aquarium hose. Its should take to the polyglycol with no reaction.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by bing! View Post
    Nope. Buy some vinyl aquarium hose. Its should take to the polyglycol with no reaction.
    Thanks, but as far as I can tell, there is no way to remove the hose from the bleed port fitting end...?

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Those look like screw-on compression fittings. I see a flat spot where a wrench will fit. Should screw out.

I dont own the pro-set, but just by looking at it, it looks like it will.

Either that or it might be a press-in compression fitting. Try LIGHTLY prying with a flat end screw driver.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    What kind of dish soap did you use? I want to make sure I never buy it.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Those syringes are very trick. My regular ones let air in after only 7 or 8 bleeds. Would like to get them but i don't think I want to spend any more money on my avid brakes. Reports on the new xtr's continue to be great...

Picture Unrelated
    Quote Originally Posted by Burning Matches View Post

I was thinking maybe the hose section is replaceable, but the opposite end of the hose (the end that screws into the bleed port) is not removeable from the fitting.
    If the fitting that you're talking about being replaceable is the knurled nut on the hose in this picture, I think it's just a press fit nut. That means that you should be able to cut the flared end off of the hose, slip off the fitting, and slip it onto a new tube that you get. Unless I'm missing something in the picture, the flared end will be created by pressing onto the other half of that fitting.

It seems like your problem was caused by some reaction with the soap. There really isn't any reason to wash your bleed system, just wipe it all clean with a towel and put it away. We have had the old Avid bleed kits for years without even wiping them down, I would expect the pro level kit to behave the same.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    in the future, don't rinse out the hoses with soap & water, just pump the syringes a couple of times to get as much of the dot fluid out. Then just wrap them in a paper towel and put it away for next time....the dot fluid will not damage the hoses....

mtbr member
    That happened to me too. It went away some how. I don't know what I did but some compination of dish soap, water, or dot fluid fixed it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    My bleed kit (older style one) does the same thing. It started about a year after I got the kit. Once the tubes have some DOT fluid in them they go back to being clear.

I spray everything with water after use, no soap. Next time I'll just pump them clear and leave them like osmarandsara, and see what happens.

Jamo
    BMC TE01 2011- RS SID Race, ZTR Olympics, X.7/X.9/X.0, 3T

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    What kind of dish soap did you use? I want to make sure I never buy it.
    Regular old Dawn, in a sink full of water.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by zebrahum View Post
    If the fitting that you're talking about being replaceable is the knurled nut on the hose in this picture, I think it's just a press fit nut. That means that you should be able to cut the flared end off of the hose, slip off the fitting, and slip it onto a new tube that you get. Unless I'm missing something in the picture, the flared end will be created by pressing onto the other half of that fitting.

It seems like your problem was caused by some reaction with the soap. There really isn't any reason to wash your bleed system, just wipe it all clean with a towel and put it away. We have had the old Avid bleed kits for years without even wiping them down, I would expect the pro level kit to behave the same.
    No, as I mentioned it's the end that fits into the bleed port fitting that isn't removeable. Here's a close-up of that end:

I can turn the knurled section, which spins independently of the end fitted into the hose. This is to allow you to thread it into the bleed port without having to spin the hose at the same time.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Rixon View Post
    My bleed kit (older style one) does the same thing. It started about a year after I got the kit. Once the tubes have some DOT fluid in them they go back to being clear.
    Just tried this - still cloudy. I am going to leave the fluid in the hose overnight to see if that does anything.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I can turn the knurled section, which spins independently of the end fitted into the hose. This is to allow you to thread it into the bleed port without having to spin the hose at the same time.
    I see a compression fitting. It'll open up, coz that hose aint molded in

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Just tried this - still cloudy. I am going to leave the fluid in the hose overnight to see if that does anything.
    Well that's no good! We'll see how overnight goes I suppose.
    BMC TE01 2011- RS SID Race, ZTR Olympics, X.7/X.9/X.0, 3T

b a n n e d
    I think this has to do with DOT fluid absorbing water. When you bled the system, the DOT fluid ended up in the pores of the hose and when you flushed with water, the residue absorbed some of the water, leaving it opaque. Take plain, clean DOT fluid and put it in a cup . . . add some water and it will look just like your hose.

The bigger issue is . . . does it really matter? I mean, do you NEED to see the fluid in the hose? I suppose with my Hope's I do so I can tell when the clean fluid is coming out.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by OO7 View Post
    The bigger issue is . . . does it really matter? I mean, do you NEED to see the fluid in the hose? I suppose with my Hope's I do so I can tell when the clean fluid is coming out.
    I need to see the inside of hose to make sure Ive let all the air out of hose when degassing fluid.

I also need it to know when to hold the syringe under vacuum so I can wait for the air to go up the syringe, beyond the hose, when bleeding the caliper and the lever. If you let go of the vacuum too soon, the air in the hose goes back in the caliper/lever making for an imperfect bleed.

b a n n e d
    I need to see the inside of hose to make sure Ive let all the air out of hose when degassing fluid.

I also need it to know when to hold the syringe under vacuum so I can wait for the air to go up the syringe, beyond the hose, when bleeding the caliper and the lever. If you let go of the vacuum too soon, the air in the hose goes back in the caliper/lever making for an imperfect bleed.
    Damn that sounds ridiculously (and unnecessarily) complicated. I'll stick with my Hope's . . . .

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Damn that sounds ridiculously (and unnecessarily) complicated. I'll stick with my Hope's . . . .
    Hope's are great brakes. Better design, and likely more powerful. More bucks too. If you have them, good for you.

M4s, theyre not any easier to bleed. Avids have 5 steps for a bleed. Hope M4s, a bit more, but they don't use syringes and they dont degas brake fluid.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Rixon View Post
    Well that's no good! We'll see how overnight goes I suppose.
    Bingo! The hose is back to clear. Letting it sit all day full of fluid did the trick.

Lesson learned here - don't try cleaning these things!

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I see a compression fitting. It'll open up, coz that hose aint molded in
    Seriously, it won't. There is no compression fitting. I don't know how else to show this. The knurled section and the hex section are one solid piece, the metal section that the hose goes into is another. They don't come apart. The two pieces spin relative to each other, but nothing is threaded.
    Last edited by Burning Matches; 09-29-2011 at 07:27 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007

this

Avid's bleed procedure is the best of all the companies. it ensures all the air is out of the fluid and system.

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by deadatbirth View Post
    Avid's bleed procedure is the best of all the companies. it ensures all the air is out of the fluid and system.
    Doesn't make up for the fact that they are the worst hydro's on the market

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Doesn't make up for the fact that they are the worst hydro's on the market
    touche

b a n n e d
    I'm only half kidding . . . . I am sure that there are MUCH worse systems out there, and my only experience is with Elixir 5's. I've never used the higher end models so I can't comment on those.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast