XXIX

Avid bleed kits?

Anyone know the difference between the 2010 and 2011 kits. Why is the 2011 kit 50 bucks and 2010 kit 20 bucks. Are the fittings different sizes.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I bought mine from bikebling last week for $29.95,I do not know what year it was but it included two hose ferrules,two barb hose fittings,8mm crowsfoot wrench,a L shaped Torx wrench,two syringes with hoses and clamps, a bunch of pad spacers,a piston spreader, a 4oz bottle of DOT4 fluid,and instructions in every language including gibberish.
    Last edited by MitchD; 02-19-2011 at 02:38 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by MitchD
    I bought mine from bikebling last week for $29.95,I do not know what year it was but it included two hose ferrules,two barb hose fittings,8mm crowsfoot wrench,a L shaped Torx wrench,two syringes with hoses and clamps, a bunch of pad spacers,a piston spreader, a 4oz bottle of DOT4 fluid,and instructions in every language including gibberish.
    I got that same kit too.

Never trust a fart
    Only difference is a new box label. Just like everything else, the new model year stuff is always more expensive than last years stuff.

XXIX
    Quote Originally Posted by frdfandc
    Only difference is a new box label. Just like everything else, the new model year stuff is always more expensive than last years stuff.
    Yea, that what I figured but I would not put it past a company to change the sizes of the ports to make the old bleed kits obsolete.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    the new one is the bomb. new syringes, hose to syringe fitting and everything. plunger doesn't pull out and spray fluid everywhere. the thread fitting that goes to the caliper or lever is the same thread spec. fully rebuildable

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    The new one is a lot different than the old. Syringes are much beefier and rebuildable. Fittings are much easier to work with, as you can unthread them from the lever/caliper without turning the whole syringe. There is a pic here.

http://www.bikerumor.com/2010/12/09/...idsram-brakes/

XXIX
    That new kit does look fancy. Thanks for the Info.

Never trust a fart
    I forgot to add that the bleed kits from 2009 are WAY different than the 2010 and up kits. This is due to the different bleed procedure that the Elixers required.

But yes the 2010+ kits have a lot more stuff in them.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    a small zip tie on the hoses where it attaches on to the bleed fitting makes for a cleaner and less difficult bleed. just sayin.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Anything about DOT 4 x DOT 5.1? An Elixir 5 requires 5.1.

trail addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikebr
    Anything about DOT 4 x DOT 5.1? An Elixir 5 requires 5.1.
    I doubt Elixir 5 REQUIRES 5.1...

Been looking at this myself as I get ready for spring (for my Code 5s)... DOT 3, 4, and 5.1 are all compatible with each other chemically. They have different boiling points, though. I am having a hard time finding 5.1 around here (seems to be a specialty fluid for racing applications, maybe) so I will probably just go with DOT 4.

If any combination of small rotors/clydesdale rider/long descents applies to you then 5.1 may really be worth it. For all my bad braking habits, I have never had a worry of the fluid boiling.

"wet" DOT 5.1 boils lower than "dry" 3 or 4... so I figure I will go with what is readily available and do a flush once a year or so along with a bleed.... not too bad when the entire brake system can be flushed with a few ounces of fluid.

Maybe you have heard (or maybe not) DO NOT use DOT 5, it is very different chemically and will probably cause serious problems.

If I am off base here on anything, I hope someone more knowledgeable will chime in.
    You better just go ahead and drop that seatpost down to the reflector... the trail gets pretty rough down there.

mtbr member
    Does anyone have experience with the "copy avid bleed kits" on ebay?
    Duct tape iz like teh Force. It has a Lite side and a Dark side and it holdz the Universe together.

Never trust a fart
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Six Pack
    I doubt Elixir 5 REQUIRES 5.1...

Been looking at this myself as I get ready for spring (for my Code 5s)... DOT 3, 4, and 5.1 are all compatible with each other chemically. They have different boiling points, though. I am having a hard time finding 5.1 around here (seems to be a specialty fluid for racing applications, maybe) so I will probably just go with DOT 4.

If any combination of small rotors/clydesdale rider/long descents applies to you then 5.1 may really be worth it. For all my bad braking habits, I have never had a worry of the fluid boiling.

"wet" DOT 5.1 boils lower than "dry" 3 or 4... so I figure I will go with what is readily available and do a flush once a year or so along with a bleed.... not too bad when the entire brake system can be flushed with a few ounces of fluid.

Maybe you have heard (or maybe not) DO NOT use DOT 5, it is very different chemically and will probably cause serious problems.

If I am off base here on anything, I hope someone more knowledgeable will chime in.

You are correct. But Avid recommends DOT 5.1. You can pick it up at any automotive store. Its readily avail there. Its also included in the Avid bleed kits.

But you can use DOT 3 or 4 as well in the Elixers without issue. Though I'd recommend using DOT 4 if 5.1 can't be found.

Just make sure to get a small bottle as brake fluid is hygroscopic and will absorb moisture over time. So a large bottle of brake fluid will go to waste, unless you like bleeding your brakes often.

DOT 5 is silicone based as where DOT 3,4, and 5.1 are polyethylene glycol based.

Big Gulps, Alright!
    Wow, thank God they released a new kit. I bought my kit a little over a year ago and immediately noticed how disposable the stuff was. When I started working at a shop a couple months later I figured they would have a nicer, professional bleed kit. Imagine my shock when I discovered they were using the exact same syringes! After a couple uses, the rubber on the plunger would get sticky and wouldn't be smooth any more. The plastic tubing from the threaded fitting to the syringe body loves to loosen and pop off, especially while pushing fluid through it.

Glad to see the new kit is designed to last more than a dozen bleeds.
    Axle Standards Explained

Founder at North Atlantic Dirt, riding & writing about trails in the northeast.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    You are correct. But Avid recommends DOT 5.1. You can pick it up at any automotive store. Its readily avail there. Its also included in the Avid bleed kits.

But you can use DOT 3 or 4 as well in the Elixers without issue. Though I'd recommend using DOT 4 if 5.1 can't be found.

Just make sure to get a small bottle as brake fluid is hygroscopic and will absorb moisture over time. So a large bottle of brake fluid will go to waste, unless you like bleeding your brakes often.

DOT 5 is silicone based as where DOT 3,4, and 5.1 are polyethylene glycol based.
    Frdfandc and Six Pack,
    Thank you for replying. I learned a lot with you guys. I think DOT4 is more than enough for me. Regards,

XXIX
    yes, very good info thanks.

trail addict

Just a follow-up... I have a high-quality DOT 4 (Valvoline I think) now. But it is "synthetic".... any worries there on compatibility with whatever is already in my system? Or are all brake fluids synthetic these days?

Thanks
    You better just go ahead and drop that seatpost down to the reflector... the trail gets pretty rough down there.

Never trust a fart
    No compatibility issues as long as its not DOT 5. Most brake fluid is now coming as synthetic. Just make sure to have a fresh bottle.

I prefer the small bottles as less goes to waste. Brake fluid likes to attract moisture and will ruin a bottle if left stored without being 100% sealed,

mtbr member
    May 2007

One trick we used to use in my old photographic chem process storage was to put glass marbles in the bottles to keep the fluid at the top. This minimizes any air exposure. If you have some moderate size SS ball bearings laying around doing nothing, they would work too.
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    No compatibility issues as long as its not DOT 5. Most brake fluid is now coming as synthetic. Just make sure to have a fresh bottle.

I prefer the small bottles as less goes to waste. Brake fluid likes to attract moisture and will ruin a bottle if left stored without being 100% sealed,
    See my marble trick above for better storage and less waste.
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

Never trust a fart
    Quote Originally Posted by ziscwg
    See my marble trick above for better storage and less waste.

Good trick, I use a double layer of plastic wrap under the lid. Works pretty good.

But its even better with a smaller pint bottles vs the larger quart bottles.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Personally I will not use brake fluid that has been opened. I throw away any fluid that I do not use right away.I am also in the minority that flushes and refills my brake systems on all my vehicles every two years.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    elixir systems use very little fluid. a yearly flush(if doing a lot of riding) is important to keep the fluid fresh and performing. 5.1 is generally not available at auto parts stores, motorcycle shops have it usually. i just use the small avid bottles for fresh fluid. the bottle gets sold to the customer so no issues with using opened stuff

mtbr member
    So what you're saying is that once opened, a bottle of DOT 5.1 (i.e. Motul) is exposed to air and over time be not as effective?! If so, I believe that is my case at this point. I did the most perfect bleed possible 2 weeks ago on my Elixir CRs...and now it got a bit spongy already. The fluid is at least a year old (Motul 5.1 liter size). It has happened at least 3 times in the last year and getting very frustrated.

I did, however, buy the new Avid Professional Bleed Kit. I'm sadly excited to try it out on this brake, since apparently it needs a bleed again. I do have the new brake fluid that is included though!

XXIX
    Mine were never really right straight from the bike shop. Bought the kit and bled breaks and they now rock!
    14' Vassago VerHauen
    [URL="https://m.facebook.com/pages/Spruce-Creek-Mtb-Trail/572082766223954"]

Never trust a fart
    Quote Originally Posted by onegymrat
    So what you're saying is that once opened, a bottle of DOT 5.1 (i.e. Motul) is exposed to air and over time be not as effective?! If so, I believe that is my case at this point. I did the most perfect bleed possible 2 weeks ago on my Elixir CRs...and now it got a bit spongy already. The fluid is at least a year old (Motul 5.1 liter size). It has happened at least 3 times in the last year and getting very frustrated.

Brake fluid attracts moisture. With a 1 year old bottle, I'd pitch it and get a fresh bottle of fluid.

As for being spongy, there is still air in the system then. Only thing to do is to bleed the brakes again.

Titanium Club
    Regarding the new kits syringes, is there anything I should do to keep them fresh? The seal around the rubber is my main concern.

Members who have read this thread: 0