mtbr member

Avid Bleed kit - Elixir ?

Been running some Juicy Ultimates for a while, upgrading to XX brakes soon which are just a lighter version of the Elixir...

Can the bleed kit ive had since about 07 for Juicy's be used with the Elixir type brake or is it a different kit ?

Im hoping it can, but the thing i need is a set of Elixir pad spacers....

mtbr member
    I used the same bleed kit I have had for about 2 years from my Juicy's on my nex Elixir's with no troubles.

Regards,
    Sf
    The other Fred........

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    You should get pad spacers with the brakes....I did with the 3 sets I have bought so far.

Kit works, just make sure you have DOT5.1 to play with. I'm not sure if all the steps are the same. As the elixir has no 'top reservoir' I'm not sure if you have to close it with the rubber band on the brake lever anymore. Have tried a few different methods with no appreciable difference in result

Where are you getting your XX's from. That will be an upgade I'll be making for sure. I have just got the elixir CR mag's and they are unbelievable. I have got them set up using the Hope floating rotors....which is something the ultimates couldn't do.....not enough power.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    http://www.sram.com/_media/pdf/avid/.../TM_MY09_E.pdf

Page 45 is the start of the how to bleed instructions. It includes all types of Avid Brakes.

mtbr member
    Second question.... Anyone know the width of the brake pad for the Elixir ? The pad material that is.... Im going to use my XX with Scrub rotors. My Ultimates have a pad width of 14mm i believe.

Thanks for the info.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    1 or 2 mm smaller

mtbr member
    Hmm OK. No luck in finding Kool Stop Elixir brake pads - need them so i can run the scrub rotors.

FYI - the XX brake isn't any different to your CR mag, it's just the XX brake comes with the X G3 rotors - so upgrading yours won't give you a weight saving etc. Just thought i'd let you know.

mtbr member

kool stop elixir brake pads

No picture, but they do have a part # (KS-D296) and you can put them in your cart...

http://www.utahmountainbiking.com/sh...brakepads.html

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Hmm, I think (based on weights) that the XX is very different to a CR mag. According to SRAM the XX will weigh in a 290g for the whole lot, whereas the CR mag is the same as a Juicy ultimate in weight (330g). The rotor is only 6 or so grams lighter so there are some extra g's in the assembly etc if the claimed weight is to be believed.

mtbr member
    As far as i know the rotor is a good bit lighter - bear in mind half of it is now alloy rather than steel which would account for more than 6 grams. One thing to bear in mind is the XX has Ti bolts all over - not sure if the CR Mag does. But the lever/caliper is the exact same.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    The XX comes with alloy backed pads. Does the CR?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    CR mag has ti mounting bolts onto the IS adaptor, but only there. Not sure where I read the rotor weight, but it wasn't official SRAM news, just reporting on the groupset. I'm basing rotor weights on the Hope ones (approx 90g for F 160).
    I know for a fact that the XX brake has a different lever blade, but there may be more improvements throughout....remember its a 50g/end saving over ultimates and CR mag. Just not possible for ti bolts alone

mtbr member
    Could be the alloy pads not really sure on the CR mag. Hope's Pro floating rotors are only 78grams for the 160mm ones.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I don't know if you can use swiss stop pads with scrub rotors but you can get swiss stop elixir pads.