mtbr member

Avid BB7 upgrade? help

I'm looking to upgrade my cannondale prophet brake's. they work but when I'm racing down hill with my friends i have to start pulling on the brakes sooner then they due ( they have avid 7 and some other brands or i might just be chicken) but either way i would like more control and feeling than i currently have from my current set up. i would love some advice on which brand you guys feel would preform well. I'm 205ish with gear and my bike has a lefty if that makes an difference.

thanks Karl
    Last edited by karlmichael; 11-06-2008 at 11:13 PM.

Slowing down sooner than your friends isn't necessarily the same thing as needing a different brake. I'm guessing you just need more time to develop your skills, or learn how to setup your brakes differently (but hard to say as don't know how you have your BB7s setup now).
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

Anti-Outsourcer
    Jan 2007
    get more aggressive tires

The Mud Stud
    Maybe bigger rotors and avid metal length housings.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    lubed full length housings help a bit, then just have someone help you set them up correctly....bb7s have stopped me flawlessly in the past, and ive got some on my SS right now....and at over 200lbs myself, power should be no concern.

mtbr member

set up ????

i had my shop set up my brakes and they feel better now but they were talking to me about going to the larger size rotor,,185 i think. will a larger rotor effect my handling? or will i be able to feel a pull to the left or right when i brake? well just a newb...thanks for any advice..

karl

I'm about your size and like running a 185 up front, 160 rear. I don't feel it pulling to one side or the other, but I suppose if you have a flexy fork that's possible. Learning to vary the setup of your BB7s yourself is the best way to fine tune the brakes to your preferences, better than anyone else can. There've been some really good rundowns on BB7 setup here, a little searching should yield a good summary.
    suum quique

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    BB7's are the best cable discs available. If it were me, I would fit bigger rotors (check your cannondale handbook for max rotor size on a lefty though) probably a 205mm up front and 185 out back. Also put decent pads in, the avid sintered are pretty good. It won't pull to the left as there is only one wheel braking at each end so brake balance is not critical like it is on a car.

If you are still struggling after that I can reccomend shimano SLX brakes, again go for biggest rotors you can fit.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    goin with a bigger rotor will just give you a little better power. most people run a 185 up front and 160 rear because the front is where the stopping power comes from. you shouldnt ever feel your brakes pulling to one side, and certainly not just by going with a bigger rotor.

mtbr member

thanks for the help guys

I just found the 185 adapter at my local mt bike shop. another question the shop said that any avid rotor will work with the BB7? they have the clean sweep 2 in stock but i think the stock BB7 comes with a different rotor..would that work and would there be a difference? or should i get the stock rotor in 185??
    i check my lefty and it can handle a 185. and on a happy note i just got a set of mavic 819 ust and a nice hope pro 2 for my bday-woot got a nice wife..ill put all of my goodies on my ride and let you know how the rotor and wheels work..thanks

karl

I prefer the Avid Clean Sweep rotor over their Roundagon rotor...
    suum quique

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    any of them will work, i prefer the alligator serrated rotor from price point, has a better feel to me than any of the avid stock rotors.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by karlmichael
    I just found the 185 adapter at my local mt bike shop. another question the shop said that any avid rotor will work with the BB7? they have the clean sweep 2 in stock but i think the stock BB7 comes with a different rotor..would that work and would there be a difference? or should i get the stock rotor in 185??
    i check my lefty and it can handle a 185. and on a happy note i just got a set of mavic 819 ust and a nice hope pro 2 for my bday-woot got a nice wife..ill put all of my goodies on my ride and let you know how the rotor and wheels work..thanks

karl
    I just installed a set of BB7s on my bike. I ordered them and when they came, the front came with the cleansweep 2. I was upset at first and then figured out it is supposedly a better rotor and so it's on the front and working just fine. Congrats on the b-day haul!

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    If you want to stop faster, tires are going to make a much bigger difference than brakes.

Once you lock up the wheels, it's not possible to apply any more useful power. Bb7's, if set up properly, should provide plenty of power to lock up the wheels. The reason to go for Hydros is the increased mechanical advantage. Less force on the brake lever is needed to lock up the wheels. That's a feel issue, not a stopping power issue.

Quote Originally Posted by nealric
    If you want to stop faster, tires are going to make a much bigger difference than brakes.

Once you lock up the wheels, it's not possible to apply any more useful power. Bb7's, if set up properly, should provide plenty of power to lock up the wheels. The reason to go for Hydros is the increased mechanical advantage. Less force on the brake lever is needed to lock up the wheels. That's a feel issue, not a stopping power issue.
    You shouldn't be locking up the brakes in most situations...you should be able to modulate so you don't do that easily....
    suum quique

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    You shouldn't be locking up the brakes in most situations...you should be able to modulate so you don't do that easily....
    I'm not saying you should, but locking up the brakes means you have applied the most stopping power possible for a given traction situation.