Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Avid BB7 or Shimano Deore

like the title says which is better, Deore's are a little cheaper but both are in the same price range. your opinions.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    all depends on what your looking for. what kind of bike would be a starting point. what kind of riding do you do? dh, xc, or freeride? competitive or weekend warrior?

mtbr member
    it's going on a 00 rockhopper fsr comp, do xc and freeride on weekends.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Deore. Too many people (myself included) have had trouble with avids. Mine have been into the shop coming up on a half dozen times for constant squealing and turkey gobble in the rear. We're working on getting the rotors replaced under warranty ('12 bike with just about ~300 miles on it) - looks like I have to go to solid rotors.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by robpad View Post
    like the title says which is better, Deore's are a little cheaper but both are in the same price range. your opinions.
    I have never had a reason not to choose BB7s.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

What could go wrong ...
    +1 for BB7
    I used to ride to Win ... Now I ride to Grin

While my guitar gently weeps, my bike sits there mocking me

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    New Deores are the best budget brakes out there.

Tried Avid years ago, and Deore are way better IMHO, let alone maintenance.

psycho cyclo addict
    +1 for BB7. Got a set of them on my SS, Elixir CR's on my FS and Juicy 7's on my HT. All of em have been trouble free and plenty 'o stoppin power for 195# rider with 160mm front and rear rotors.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by probiscus View Post
    Deore. Too many people (myself included) have had trouble with avids. Mine have been into the shop coming up on a half dozen times for constant squealing and turkey gobble in the rear. We're working on getting the rotors replaced under warranty ('12 bike with just about ~300 miles on it) - looks like I have to go to solid rotors.
    probiscus,

I noticed the post above you made about Avid BB7's and the "turkey gobble" sound they make. I have the same problem with my Tektro disc brakes and it is killing me not knowing what it is. They seem to work fine, but that chattering/squeeky/death sound is so annoying. Did you figure out what is causing it? It doesn't seem to be that the rotors are dirty and they stop great so the pads seem fine. It has my LBS stumped too.

Sorry to hijack, I'm just very excited to be able to ask someone who is describing the exact problem I am having. I would have sent a PM but this is my first post and apparently you need 10. Thanks for your help!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    just to be clear, you are comparing the Deore V-brake vs the Avid Mech disc brakes, correct. The BB-7 would be a big improvement but you will then need to get rotors, hubs, etc. thus increasing the cost way beyond the Deore. Patch up what you have and save up for new bike

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    I have been using BB7s since 2000 and do not know what is meant by turkey gobble. My brakes make noise from time to time but nothing outrageous.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    isn't there like 3 Deore's? V-brake, Mech and hydro..? kinda need to clarify which one.

I'd still say BB7's WAY better than the Shimmy V or Mech.. close to a tie with the hydro's but I've seen tooo many wipeouts where brake lines and/or levers get damaged.. , too much time down getting parts, and the $$$ would really piss off my wallet. BB7's are soo common now anything you'd ever need pretty much any shop will have in stock and you'll be back on trail in 10 minutes, not 10 days. And with the $$$ you save you can get a new helmet to replace the one that just got smashed on the rock saving your skull
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

mtbr member

Please silence my Squeek

I just upgraded my rear Disc to BB7. I read all good reviews on the brake and even read about their squeeling issue. Sure enough first ride after my install (very careful not to contaminate the rotor) they squeal LOUD right before lock out.

I have read in many forums to wipe down with alcohol, sand down the rotors to remove the finish and even to change to organic pads. Is all that necessary, or should I ride the noise out, and see if it fades with a natural break in period.

mtbr member
    Been using BB7 for years and Deore M596 for a few weeks. Deore M596 are slightly more powerful and have slightly better modulation. Really I prefer the short single finger levers on the Deores. The new Shimano range has lots of trickle down technology similar to SLX and the Deore are surpsringly good value, easy to bleed and one finger endos are a reality. However you can never go far wrong with BB7. Avid warble noises are mostly just caused by cheap rotors.
    Last edited by lew242; 03-05-2012 at 04:31 PM.

SSolo
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    I have never had a reason not to choose BB7s.
    Me three! BB7s are great mechanical brakes and the rotor noise is usually improper caliper adjustment and/or glazed pads. They will make some noise when they get wet.

EDIT: The G3 Avid rotors are the only Avid rotors that I will buy, they stop better, self-clean better and make way less turkey gobble noise! Roundagons are the worst, G2 are ok, but G3 are way better.
    Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life son...

Dissolved member
    The Deore mechs are fine, I have been riding them for a few years without any problem; they are much better than BB5s (IMHO these should never be used in the front, only on road bikes). The Deores can only be used with organic pads though, there are sintered ones for BB7.

~Disc~Golf~
    ... Mine have been into the shop coming up on a half dozen times ....
    there's your problem right there

Don't be an 'ahh, something minor is wrong - I'll take it to the shop!" kind of guy and fix it yourself.
    Honestly... ahh I give up

Huckin' trails
    BB7. Or good hydro.

But don't go cheap on the brakes.
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

~Disc~Golf~
    also, 'cheap' does not necessarily mean inexpensive

No good in rock gardens..
    Deore Hydros would be my choice. Had two sets and never had a problem with them.
    My Cannondale Lefty keeps failing....

Huckin' trails
    Quote Originally Posted by highdelll View Post
    Yep, important point.
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

mtbr member
    I've used the flintstone method for the last 8 months and I've been happy almost the entire time. Pick one and enjoy!

T.W.O.
    Quote Originally Posted by highdelll View Post
    Tru dat
    Mech brake I don't see any other model come close to beating overall performance/price/reliability of BB7. Hydro however, is another story

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Hi.

I got installed my M596 with RT-67 180/160 rotors in December. Due to very warm winter i tested them a bit, more of in bedding in. I was surprised how responsive and powerfull they really are. The M575 that came with my bike really made hydraulics disc brakes look bad. The M596 are very decent brakes for this money. (=

~Disc~Golf~
    Quote Originally Posted by mimi1885 View Post
    Tru dat
    Mech brake I don't see any other model come close to beating overall performance/price/reliability of BB7. Hydro however, is another story
    are you trollin'?
    (tryin to get a rise out of me?)

ala mr. "frosty struthers'?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast