Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Dec 2006

Avid bb7 rotor size question

Hey all,

Thinking of getting some Avid bb7 mechanical disc brakes for my Jamis Dragon 650b hardtail. Blue Sky Cycling has a combo pack where you get everything you need front and rear for cheap. The combo pack is only offered with 160mm rotors front and rear. Is this adequate or would a 180mm up front be a better choice? I'm basically an XC type rider and weigh 135 pounds fully suited up. Thanks in advance for any input.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    180mm up front is definitely better but you're pretty lightweight and you might not need it. It's not a big deal to upgrade to a larger rotor later, you just need to get a larger rotor and the appropriate brake mount.

mtbr member
    I would say at your weight, go ahead and try the 160 up front. It may work very well on a 650b with a rider below 150.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Since you guys are talking about the bb7's and I can not start a new thread yet, I wanted to know what kind of cable to use with mine I just got. I am upgrading from leaky hydro brakes, so the back brake is gonna have alot of cable drag. I can get teflon cables, but I dont know if there is anything better. Give me some suggestions.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by hkmeup View Post
    Hey all,

Thinking of getting some Avid bb7 mechanical disc brakes for my Jamis Dragon 650b hardtail. Blue Sky Cycling has a combo pack where you get everything you need front and rear for cheap. The combo pack is only offered with 160mm rotors front and rear. Is this adequate or would a 180mm up front be a better choice? I'm basically an XC type rider and weigh 135 pounds fully suited up. Thanks in advance for any input.
    I'm 180 geared up, and like to use a 180mm up front. At 135, it may be a non-issue. I would say that if you have the option of getting a 180 up front to start with, I'd go with that.

Keep in mind that if you currently have v-brake (or mechanical disc) levers, you don't need to buy new ones.

Also, what cables does this kit come with? This is a really critical part of the setup. If they are not something like Jagwire Ripcords or similar compression-less brake housing they are worthless, IMO.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Micdanson88 View Post
    Since you guys are talking about the bb7's and I can not start a new thread yet, I wanted to know what kind of cable to use with mine I just got. I am upgrading from leaky hydro brakes, so the back brake is gonna have alot of cable drag. I can get teflon cables, but I dont know if there is anything better. Give me some suggestions.
    Jagwire Ripcord

Mountain at Tree Fort Bikes

Makes all the difference in the world.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I like what im seeing so far. Wish they were a little cheaper though.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Thanks for the input all. I decided to give the 160s a try front and rear. I gave SRAM tech support a call today and this is the setup they recommended for me. Kapusta, the included cables are low end Shimano, so I ended up not going with the combo pack and ordered the items separately with compression-less cables.

psycho cyclo addict

I'm 195 lbs. (no gear on) and ride 160/160 BB7's on my rigid single speed 29er through all sorts of trails beyond XC. You'll be fine with 160's...

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I agree with you edubfromktown, All I have ever had are 160/160 at 180 lbs. and I could stop so fast before my hydros started leaking.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I have been reading about cheap teflon cables, and how they are carbon steel and just teflon coated. Can this be true? How do I know what Im getting? The bike shop I work at in the summer has avenir(?) brand cables. Has anyone used those? The Jagwire Ripcord DIY set says it is meant to be used as shifter cable/housing and im assuming it can be used for brakes too, so maybe I'll go that route. Does anyone know If the Jagwires ends are compatible with Avid SpeedLevers?

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

I have been reading about cheap teflon cables, and how they are carbon steel and just teflon coated. Can this be true? How do I know what Im getting? The bike shop I work at in the summer has avenir(?) brand cables. Has anyone used those? The Jagwire Ripcord DIY set says it is meant to be used as shifter cable/housing and im assuming it can be used for brakes too, so maybe I'll go that route. Does anyone know If the Jagwires ends are compatible with Avid SpeedLevers?
    The cables I use are Teflon coated drawn stainless steel.

Derailleur housing will split if used for brakes.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Jagwire Ripcords come in shifter and brake versions. They are not the same thing. DO NOT use shifter housing for brakes. Get the Ripcord BRAKE cable/housing set.

The Jagwire brake cable ends and housing ferrules are compatible with avid levers.

When people talk about Teflon cables they mean Teflon-coated. I don't think there is such a thing as a pure teflon cable for brakes.

mtbr member
    Yes on the Jagwires. I actually am running a Jagwire cable on a Ultegra housing for my rear brake because it was what I had on hand when I built this. Feels good as the front so I haven't been in a hurry to change it out.

On 160's- I am running the BB7 with SD7 levers and at 145lbs it is plenty of one finger stopping power for an advanced level rider. Great modulation too.
    Find a ride on FB> AZ MTB

"Uppercase with a space"

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Thanks for all the help you guys sure know a lot. I knew the cables only come in teflon coated--otherwise it would not be strong enough. I found the jagwire BRAKE kit on amazon for $28(shipping too) which I believe is good. Seems like the Jagwires are the best out there and I love that they come in colors too

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    This is them right here: Amazon.com: Jagwire Ripcord DIY Brake Kit, Black Carbon: Sports & Outdoors

Let me know If they will work (how can I be sure If I get whats in the picture?)

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I found the cables (link in previous post). They only are available with the shimano/SRAM end, and not the barrel/mountain end. The Avid Speed Dial levers appear to only be compatible with the mountain end, and the jagwires DO NOT come with the standard barrel end. Im thinking about going with the Jagwire Hyper: Amazon.com: Jagwire Hyper Brake Cable Kit Black, One Size: Sports & Outdoors

Are there any other GOOD cables out there with the standard end for my Avid SpeedLevers? I would like to go with compressionless if possible, these are going to be for mech. disc brakes.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Avid = SRAM. Shimano/SRAM brake cables are what you need.

AM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I will post pictures later to show that they will not work.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Ripcord (not hyper) is what you want. They work with avid/sram or shimano brake levers.

I'm not sure what you are talking about not working. Are you talking about the cable ends, or the ferrules for the housing?

I use use the Ripcord DIY set with three different avid speed dial levers, and two different shimano levers as well. Zero issues with the cable ends or ferrules. They all use the same cable end, and I have never come across a brake cable that does not have that end on it. The ferrules work with all the levers as well.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    The cable ends. The mushroom style (shimano/SRAM) does not appear to fit my avid levers. Something must have changed, or I am looking at it wrong. I am going to a bike shop later today to try the fit of the SRAM cables (I already have the barrel end ones at home).

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Here is a picture, sorry its blurry.
    Avid bb7 rotor size question-100_2542.jpg

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Here is a picture, sorry its blurry.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_2542.jpg 
Views:	162 
Size:	79.3 KB 
ID:	777777
    Yes, that is what they all are like. The Ripcords have the little barrel end that will fit that. What makes you believe they do not have the correct end?

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Here is a pic with the cable in it.
    Avid bb7 rotor size question-100_2546.jpgAvid bb7 rotor size question-100_2545.jpg

I do not have a SRAM end to test, but I will when I go to the bike shop. Is it possible that more than one cable end can fit in the Avids? They have the same connector as cheapy brakes.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Here is a pic with the cable in it.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_2546.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	172.4 KB 
ID:	777779Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_2545.jpg 
Views:	178 
Size:	151.1 KB 
ID:	777780

I do not have a SRAM end to test, but I will when I go to the bike shop. Is it possible that more than one cable end can fit in the Avids? They have the same connector as cheapy brakes.
    That IS a "SRAM" end.

SRAM, Shimano, ALL use this end. The Ripcord cable (and any other you are likely to see) has this same end. What makes you think it does not?

Some cables come with the end shown on one end and the smaller "mushroom" end on the other (I forget if Ripcord is like that) You just cut off the end you don't need.

Besides, you do know that Avid is a SRAM product, right? SRAM is a bike components company. One of there line of products are Avid brakes.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast